Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Advanced Taster

Re: Oysters on the Half Shell

I was at Theo Thudpuckers in Fort Pierce Florida on the Jetty a few years back and was introduced to Shooters [oyster + vodka + hot sauce and a couple other things I can't remember]. I really liked them and had about 5 or 6 when the bartender asked me if I was going for the record. I asked what the record was and he said 34. I declined the challenge. That is a lot of oysters and a lot of alcohol so I wonder if we are looking at a myth here. There are a lot of shooters being digested these days. I haven't heard of anyone dieing yet over this.

bj

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertaster View Post
    I was at Theo Thudpuckers in Fort Pierce Florida on the Jetty a few years back and was introduced to Shooters [oyster + vodka + hot sauce and a couple other things I can't remember]. I really liked them and had about 5 or 6 when the bartender asked me if I was going for the record. I asked what the record was and he said 34. I declined the challenge. That is a lot of oysters and a lot of alcohol so I wonder if we are looking at a myth here. There are a lot of shooters being digested these days. I haven't heard of anyone dieing yet over this.

bj

Hmmm? I wonder why????

Just kidding, With a wife who is a FL Gulf Cost native I have had my share of shooters. They can be fun but I find that the vodka just overwhelms the taste of the oyster. As for the other ingredients : horseradish, Tabasco, and other peppers with the cocktail sauce. I have also seen them made with just Louisiana Hot Sauce, Vodka, and a oyster.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HD FBOY View Post
    Hmmm? I wonder why????

Just kidding, With a wife who is a FL Gulf Cost native I have had my share of shooters. They can be fun but I find that the vodka just overwhelms the taste of the oyster. As for the other ingredients : horseradish, Tabasco, and other peppers with the cocktail sauce. I have also seen them made with just Louisiana Hot Sauce, Vodka, and a oyster.
    I think that people who have the oyster shooters don't really care about the taste of the oysters. I would just rather have mine on the half shell or, occasionally, as an oyster cocktail.

Off topic, but last night I want to a small, strip mall Cajun restaurant. It was apparently authentic, because they were obviously big time LSU fans and I could hear the unaffected Cajun accents of a couple of the employees. I ordered a fried oyster platter and was served the best fried oysters I've had in at least 25 years!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur