Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: New to Bourbon

New to Bourbon

Hey all - I'm new to both Bourbon and this board. The derby got me thinking about Bourbon today - wondering what folks would recommend in the 20-30 range?

After reading the this board for a bit earlier today, I went to the local supermarket to see what they had. Got some Bulleit for about 22 bucks - sipping some with ice at the moment - tastes pretty good. And I've had Woodford in the past - the Bulleit is more to my taste.

Any suggestions?

One other question - I've purchased two separate bottles of woodford (maybe a year or two ago) - the two bottles tasted different. Is that to be expected with Bourbon?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: New to Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepies View Post
    Hey all - I'm new to both Bourbon and this board. The derby got me thinking about Bourbon today - wondering what folks would recommend in the 20-30 range?
    In addition to what you have already tried:
    Eliajh Craig 12-year-old
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Eagle Rare Single Barrel
    Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel
    Maker's Mark
    Ridgemont Reserve 1792
    Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
    Weller 12-year-old
    Old Grand-Dad 114

After reading the this board for a bit earlier today, I went to the local supermarket to see what they had. Got some Bulleit for about 22 bucks - sipping some with ice at the moment - tastes pretty good. And I've had Woodford in the past - the Bulleit is more to my taste.

Any suggestions?

One other question - I've purchased two separate bottles of woodford (maybe a year or two ago) - the two bottles tasted different. Is that to be expected with Bourbon?
    With Woodford, yes, but not with bourbon generally.

Guru

Chuck has a pretty well rounded out list there. I would add Van Winkle Lot B (~$35), Fighting Cock and Weller Antique.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Went to the store and bought Makers Mark, Billeit, and WT Rare Breed. All good stuff. Thanks guys.

Apprentice

Knob Creek is among the best Bourbons I've ever had. And I've had quite a few. As far as readily available Bourbon (not special order), Knob Creek is the smoothest. It's a little more expensive than Jim Beam and Wild Turkey. My second favorite is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Excellent!
    Did you ever notice how well Bourbon goes with popcorn? Ever since I quit smoking cigars and my pipe, I've been eating popcorn with my Bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowEddy View Post
    Did you ever notice how well Bourbon goes with popcorn? Ever since I quit smoking cigars and my pipe, I've been eating popcorn with my Bourbon.
    No, I hadn't. Next time I go to the movies I may need to take a bottle of Booker's with me.

Sleepies, SlowEddy, welcome to the board!!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    No, I hadn't. Next time I go to the movies I may need to take a bottle of Booker's with me.
    I like how you think!
    Bob O.

Advanced Taster

I'd add Buffalo Trace to the 'Bang for your Buck' list.