Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

My brew schedule...

Ed and I brewed up a Belgian Wit a few weeks ago that is just now ready and it is fantastic. I'll try and save a few for September. Here is my schedule going forward. Any thoughts on these recipes from other homebrewers out there? If I find the time to brew them all, look for a beer party one afternoon in September!

ALTbier

4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.3 %
    3 lbs Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 30.2 %
    2 lbs Munich (Dingemans) (5.5 SRM) Grain 20.1 %
    8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (7.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
    4.0 oz Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
    3.0 oz De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans) (550.0 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
    1.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (35 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
    1.50 oz Spalter [3.50%] (35 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
    WLP Dusseldorf

Oatmeal Stout

7 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
    .75 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
    .5 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
    .5 lbs. Crystal 105L Great Britain 1.033 105
    .5 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
    .5 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
    1 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
    1.5 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
    .5 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
    1.5 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 25.2 60 min.
    1 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 12.9 30 min.
    1 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 1.4 2 min.
    White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Centennial IPA
    8 lb 2 row
    2 lb Vienna
    .5 lb Barley, Flaked
    .5 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
    Centennial Hops
    Yeast cultured from 2-hearted ale
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Virtuoso

Re: My brew schedule...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Any thoughts on these recipes from other homebrewers out there?
    Oatmeal Stout

7 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
    .75 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
    .5 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
    .5 lbs. Crystal 105L Great Britain 1.033 105
    .5 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
    .5 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
    1 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
    1.5 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
    .5 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
    1.5 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 25.2 60 min.
    1 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 12.9 30 min.
    1 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 1.4 2 min.
    White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout
    I wonder if you wouldn't be better off doubling the roast barley and halving or deleting the black patent. In my experience, black patent doesn't play nicely with oatmeal stouts.

The other thing I wonder is if 1.5 lbs of oatmeal might not make a viscous mess out of your sparge. Just myself, I'd cut down the oatmeal to 1 lb.

The caveat to this is that since your homebrewering technique and (wait for it...) your water will play a big role in how assertive are the components of your beer, it all depends. My guess is that you have nothing but the purest Kentucky water that has trickled up from deep, ancient limestone springs
    Either that or river water...

As an aside, part of my style for pale ales is to soften the water with lactic acid so that I can overhop without getting to a high bitterness or raw hop character in the finishing hops.

Of course, what I really mean to advise is whatever Jeff Renner is about to write, not what I just wrote...

Roger

Hey, it's fun to talk about beer - probably because in addition to drinking it, we can create beer and become knowledgeable about it through actual experience, where we can only talk about whiskey; how much it cost, where to find it, how it used ta be better (did not! - did too!) or whose source trumps the other's.

Administrator in exile

Good suggestion on the black patent. I don't think I'll eliminate it completely, but I might cut it back to .25lb. I have used that amount of oats before with no problems. I don't claim any technical prowess, but the setup I built has so far proven to be stuck-sparge proof. (I know, I'm just asking for it). Here is a link to pics of my setup:

Jeff's brewery

You're right, beer is something that we have control over. I can't make bourbon, and wine is so dependent on the quality of the fruit you start with, that I wouldn't stand a chance of making good wine here in KY, but I can make better beer than anything I can buy, IMHO.

Connoisseur

Jeff,

Just curious about the wheat malt in your alt: is that just for head retention? I like the look of the recipe. On the low end of bitterness for a Dusseldorf alt, but it looks like a great session beer for the fall.

As for that IPA, it looks fantastic. I brew something similar at least once a year. Love Centennial hops, love Bell's Two-Hearted. I've never cultured up their yeast, though (sixers of their yeast samples are hard to come by in these parts). I have found Wyeast American Ale II (WLP California Ale V) yields a good, rich mouthfeel and slight nuttiness along the same lines.

I look forward to hearing how these turn out. Homebrewing does yield a good bit of control, but there's also a slight level of unpredictability and lack of repeatability that I generally enjoy. It's along the lines of baking or cooking, in that the same recipe and procedure followed meticulously over and over again can still yield slightly different results.

Administrator in exile

Thanks, yes the wheat is mainly for head retention. I throw .5lb or so into a lot of my beers. Centennials are my favorite hops. In fact, I've got Centennials and Cascades planted in a container on my deck, and I'll transplant them into the yard when they get a little bigger.

Taster

Rughi, "As an aside, part of my style for pale ales is to soften the water with lactic acid so that I can overhop without getting to a high bitterness or raw hop character in the finishing hops."

Just a comment with regard to lactic acid...

I found out I was mildy allergic to lactic acid when a friend brew a Milk Stout. He and i live and hour apart and I consumed one 700 ml bottle and drove home about 45 minutes later. I made it home and got to the bathroom in time. If I ever find myself constipated I know just what to use for quick cure.

Unfortunately, it took another 375ml bottle of the stuff to figure out the cause of my free-flowing bowels. Lovely stout ... but I'll pass in future.
    "One Scotch, One Bourbon and One Beer!"

Taster

Sorry about the mispellings ... I just washed my hands and I can't do a thing with them...
    "One Scotch, One Bourbon and One Beer!"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bourbon View Post
    ...I found out I was mildy allergic to lactic acid...
    Oh great! One more thing I can be allergic to...

Roger "getting fitted for a bubble soon" Hodges

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bourbon View Post
    Rughi, "As an aside, part of my style for pale ales is to soften the water with lactic acid so that I can overhop without getting to a high bitterness or raw hop character in the finishing hops."

Just a comment with regard to lactic acid...

I found out I was mildy allergic to lactic acid when a friend brew a Milk Stout....

Guys, don't worry, Lactose (C12H22O11) and Lactic acid (C3H6O3)
    are distinctly different.

Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk (and unfermentable by brewers yeast).
    -Similar to sucrose in that it is a sugar that takes one more step to digest than does glucose.

Lactose intolerance in adulthood is common in most of the world and it is the result of lacking the enzyme in your digestive tract to break down lactose. The result can be explosive. But this isn't an allergy either, just a source of bowel distress.

Lactic acid is a tart/sour organic acid that, for example gives Yogurt its tartness. (there, the yogurt bacteria break down the Lactose from the milk, converting it into lactic acid).
    -similar to citric or malic acid, each of which, though sour, has a distinct quality to the sourness. (citric having citrus notes and malic having green-apple notes)

It is unlikely to have adverse reactions to lactic acid.

So don't worry about adding lactic acid to adjust pH.

Enthusiast

I'm going to have to get one of those igloo coolers to use as a fermenter chiller. In the Summertime it's a little too warm and the t-shirt over in a bucket of water doesn't evap quickly enough.

You need a kegerator!

I'll be adding the 3rd tap in Sept hooked to a 3gal keg.