Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: New toys

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Here are pics of a couple of new toys I've added to my brewery:

The Barley Crusher will allow me to crush my own grain, and not be dependent on my LHBS for the crush. Also it will allow me to purchase malt in bulk (55lb sacks) at significantly reduced prices.

My new fermentation cooler is made from a 60qt Ice Cube cooler that I got from Wal-Mart for $20. I cut a couple of holes in the lid to allow the carboy mouth and air-lock to stick through. I'll load it with a few freezer-packs and change them out daily. This will allow me to maintain proper fermentation temps all year long. I would prefer a dedicated refrigerator, but Leslie is only so tolerant

To the right of the closed cooler is my little Centennial plant starting to grow!
    I'm impressed with your dedication to the art of home brewing. I don't allow myself the time the process takes to build a beer from scratch more than once a year. I content myself with doctored kits; but still produce good results with same. Where do you buy your hops to grow your own? That would be excellent.
    "One Scotch, One Bourbon and One Beer!"

Virtuoso

Re: My brew schedule...

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bourbon View Post
    ...I found out I was mildy allergic to lactic acid...
    Oh great! One more thing I can be allergic to...

Roger "getting fitted for a bubble soon" Hodges

Administrator in exile

Re: New toys

I'm impressed with your dedication to the art of home brewing. I don't allow myself the time the process takes to build a beer from scratch more than once a year. I content myself with doctored kits; but still produce good results with same. Where do you buy your hops to grow your own? That would be excellent.
    Thanks,

I got my rhizomes from http://www.northernbrewer.com

They only offer them during the spring. I bought a cascade and a centennial plant. Both started out well, but we're going through a terrible hot/dry spell and they're not looking too good right now.

Update on the brews:

The Belgian Wit is tasting really good in this hot weather. Sulfur notes have faded considerably.

The oatmeal stout is bottle conditioning as we speak, but I popped one open last night and it was very nice. Hints of cocoa and coffee with a silky mouthfeel.

I decided to ditch plans for the centennial IPA and brewed up a Belgian Saison. It is two days into primary fermentation and is chugging away like a locomotive.

Next up is the Altbier. I'll probably brew that one in a couple of weeks. I'm still tweaking the recipe, but I think I'm happy with it.

I plan on bringing all of these beers to the Festival in September. I think it would be fun to have a beer party one afternoon. Any other homebrewers out there want to bring something to share?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Taster

Rughi, "As an aside, part of my style for pale ales is to soften the water with lactic acid so that I can overhop without getting to a high bitterness or raw hop character in the finishing hops."

Just a comment with regard to lactic acid...

I found out I was mildy allergic to lactic acid when a friend brew a Milk Stout....

Guys, don't worry, Lactose (C12H22O11) and Lactic acid (C3H6O3)
    are distinctly different.

Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk (and unfermentable by brewers yeast).
    -Similar to sucrose in that it is a sugar that takes one more step to digest than does glucose.

Lactose intolerance in adulthood is common in most of the world and it is the result of lacking the enzyme in your digestive tract to break down lactose. The result can be explosive. But this isn't an allergy either, just a source of bowel distress.

Lactic acid is a tart/sour organic acid that, for example gives Yogurt its tartness. (there, the yogurt bacteria break down the Lactose from the milk, converting it into lactic acid).
    -similar to citric or malic acid, each of which, though sour, has a distinct quality to the sourness. (citric having citrus notes and malic having green-apple notes)

It is unlikely to have adverse reactions to lactic acid.

So don't worry about adding lactic acid to adjust pH.

Enthusiast

I'm going to have to get one of those igloo coolers to use as a fermenter chiller. In the Summertime it's a little too warm and the t-shirt over in a bucket of water doesn't evap quickly enough.

You need a kegerator!

I'll be adding the 3rd tap in Sept hooked to a 3gal keg.

Administrator in exile

Yeah I know. Bottling is a pain. My next project is building a magnetic stir plate for my yeast starters, then it's on to kegging for sure. I'm looking for a full-sized refrigerator that I can use to lager and double as a kegerator. Did you build that one yourself?

As an update, I bottled the Altbier tonight. The Saison has been bottled for a week. I know it's early, but Ed and I popped one open on Sunday and it's on it's way, but slower than my typical beers...could be the 9% ABV slowing down the yeast. The wit and the oatmeal stout went over well at the BOCK meeting (Brewers of Central KY). I should have some of those available for tasting at the Festival.

Enthusiast

Yup, I built it. I'm on the forum over at Northern Brewer, the tower came from ACU, but if you're using a full sized fridge then there's no point in a tower. High quality work though, my dad built the top for me. 1" Brazilian Cherry leftover from when they put their flooring in.

I wish I had a lagerator to control my temps, but I don't have the space and I think I'll go w/ a chest freezer when it's time. This Kenmore Unit is nice enough and small enough w/ 3 taps to keep inside and all my fermenting can be done outside in garage or whatever.

Enthusiast

Oh, and once you start kegging, you'll wonder why you didn't start years ago. So much less work!

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Oatmeal Stout

7 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
    .75 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
    .5 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
    .5 lbs. Crystal 105L Great Britain 1.033 105
    .5 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
    .5 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
    1 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
    1.5 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
    .5 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
    1.5 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 25.2 60 min.
    1 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 12.9 30 min.
    1 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 1.4 2 min.
    White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Just an update: I just found out the oatmeal stout took first place in the KY State Fair hombrew competition. This one turned out really nice

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I told everyone (quite a while ago) Jeff really knows how to brew.

Well done my friend.

Gary