Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bottles in the trunk for a week in Dallas in early June. Will I be okay?

Hey all!

I was hoping maybe you could help me out. I'm in Oklahoma City, and due to our local laws the bourbon availability here is somewhat limited. I'm in Dallas quite often for work, so I usually just stock up on the things that I can't get here (namely Buffalo Trace, but also others) and bring it back with me.

So in a few weeks we're going on vacation. We're driving to Dallas for the weekend, then flying out to San Francisco for a week, back in to Dallas, then driving home. We arrive back in Dallas on a Sunday, so I can't stop by a package store on the way home (Dallas liquor stores are closed on Sunday, right?) If I bought several bottles on Saturday and kept them in the trunk of the car for a week while I was gone, would they change substantially from the heat? I'll be using covered parking, so the car shouldn't get much direct sunlight, but I feel sure it will be above room temperature.

I'm not so much concerned about the Buffalo Trace, because it tends to be reasonably inexpensive, but I would prefer not to buy some more expensive or specialty bottlings if they're going to go all wonky from sitting in a warm car.

Any thoughts you folks have are much appreciated!

--b

Guru

Re: Bottles in the trunk for a week in Dallas in early June. Will I be okay?

I don't believe bourbon sitting in your trunk for a week will make it wonky. You should be fine. While it's true you don't want to expose bourbon to heat...that would be for long periods of time. I would think for a week, the bourbon would be fine. Besides, this is your chance to stock up on your whiskey collection you can't get in OK.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Leaving bottles that are "corked" in your car...with heat...is not good. The heat will cause the liquid volume to expand and force the cork out of the bottle.

Big mess The only good thing? Your car smells Soooooooooooo Good for quite awhile

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEss View Post
    Hey all!

I was hoping maybe you could help me out. I'm in Oklahoma City, and due to our local laws the bourbon availability here is somewhat limited. I'm in Dallas quite often for work, so I usually just stock up on the things that I can't get here (namely Buffalo Trace, but also others) and bring it back with me.

So in a few weeks we're going on vacation. We're driving to Dallas for the weekend, then flying out to San Francisco for a week, back in to Dallas, then driving home. We arrive back in Dallas on a Sunday, so I can't stop by a package store on the way home (Dallas liquor stores are closed on Sunday, right?) If I bought several bottles on Saturday and kept them in the trunk of the car for a week while I was gone, would they change substantially from the heat? I'll be using covered parking, so the car shouldn't get much direct sunlight, but I feel sure it will be above room temperature.

I'm not so much concerned about the Buffalo Trace, because it tends to be reasonably inexpensive, but I would prefer not to buy some more expensive or specialty bottlings if they're going to go all wonky from sitting in a warm car.

Any thoughts you folks have are much appreciated!

--b
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Enthusiast

It'd have to get really hot for a long time for a non-carbed beverage to force the cork out.

Connoisseur

DON'T DO IT!! I lost a Pappy 23 like that. The heat made the WAX top cork pop out! I seriously almost cried and my stomach was upset for days.

Guru

But, if his car is in covered parking, no direct sunlight, the temperature should stay fairly consistent. Dallas is around 80 degrees or so and I would think that wouldn't cause the contents to expand and pop the cork. I would think at moderate temperatures the contents would be fine. I guess to err on the side of caution, do as you said....don't buy expensive bourbon.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

I've done the same thing except with a "rare" HH 21 It wasn't a real hot day...and it was parked in the shade ...

All was not completly lost...I took the "left over's" to a party and shared it with friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    DON'T DO IT!! I lost a Pappy 23 like that. The heat made the WAX top cork pop out! I seriously almost cried and my stomach was upset for days.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I was more concerned about the flavors changing, but I hadn't thought about the expansion bit.

I have one of those ice chests that purports to keep ice frozen for 5 days in 90-degree heat. I don't think I will need to put the bottles on ice, but I might be able to grab several of those frozen ice packs to put in there to keep the temperature reasonably cool for the duration, especially in the trunk of a shaded car.

Thanks again for the help! I'll let everyone know how I fare after I get back.

--b

Advanced Taster

Look for underground parking if available since it is usually much cooler...

Apprentice
    Vallejo, California. Just northeast of San Francisco.

Lost a bottle of knob creek in the trunk once. I live near San Francisco and it wasn't that hot out, but the direct sunlight heated the trunk to a higher temperature then the outside ambient.

Only took a couple of hours, as well. I'm still pining.