Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Bottles in the trunk for a week in Dallas in early June. Will I be okay?

I also lost a Knob Creek this way, it forced the cork out, broke the wax and all. That was about 5 years ago and I still can't get over it. Although like Bettye Jo said, it does make your car smell great.....sure beats the hell outta those scented things you hang from your mirror
    Put a smile on my face every time I got in the car for about a month!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    I also lost a Knob Creek this way, it forced the cork out, broke the wax and all. That was about 5 years ago and I still can't get over it. Although like Bettye Jo said, it does make your car smell great.....sure beats the hell outta those scented things you hang from your mirror
    Put a smile on my face every time I got in the car for about a month!

Scott
    Scott,

I think you're on to something.....Bourbon scented car fresheners. They come in two varieties....Rye and Wheat.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

All I can say is, believe Bettye Jo. She speaks from experience from the land of experience with that sort of thing. If someone from Bardstown, Kentucky tells you whiskey left in a car trunk on a hot day will release itself from the bottle, you doubt her at your peril.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    All I can say is, believe Bettye Jo. She speaks from experience from the land of experience with that sort of thing. If someone from Bardstown, Kentucky tells you whiskey left in a car trunk on a hot day will release itself from the bottle, you doubt her at your peril.
    Duly noted I may have a buddy in Dallas that can house a couple of bottles for me until I return. You would think we are still under prohibition, what with the buying and stashing and running across state lines and all.

Thanks again for the help - you folks probably saved me some heartache. Still, I must admit - the bourbon-scented car does sound intriguing. I would hate to try to explain that one to the local constable during a routine traffic stop, though

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Look for underground parking if available since it is usually much cooler...
    I'll take this as fact, simply based on your name!

Cheers!

JOE

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Bourbon scented car fresheners. They come in two varieties....Rye and Wheat.
    You better hope a cop doesn't pull you over, though.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

I would think the insulated cooler with a few cold bars would prevent disaster. Guess the only way to know would be to check it out for a few days without the precious cargo if you have time. Could also use dry ice if you could get it.

Taster

What these guys neglected to tell you is how erratic their driving was before their whiskey became so frightened and frenzied it blew the cork and exited.

Is there no member in the Dallas area that might help this guy out by holding his purchases for him til the following Sunday?

Other suggestions might be to find public storage for a week? Does DFW have lockers? If so, maybe you could get a couple of lockers for the week. Good luck!

Are you planning to pick up / look for whiskey in the San Francisco area as well?

Enthusiast

Since you'll be at the airport anyway, put 'em in a bag and pop the bag in a rental locker at the airport. They'll stay 72 degrees the whole time. Texans believe in really cold air conditioning.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Guru

I think the "airport locker" is the best idea.

72 degrees. Man, I'd be sweatin'. I keep my thermostat at 67. I don't mind sweating for a living but I'll be damned If I'll sweat when I come home in the evening.