Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: Bottles in the trunk for a week in Dallas in early June. Will I be okay?

Do they really still have rental lockers at airports? I haven't seen them. I think those things went away post-9/11. Too easy to store suspicious packages.

If you do keep the bottles in your trunk, make sure they're vertical with the cork up!

Advanced Taster

Don't know about airports, but I stashed some goodies (particularly, Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey) in a coin-op locker at the Denver Convention Center during last year's Great American Beer Festival, so they're still out there in some places.

And yes, I was surprised (but thankful) that they were still being utilized post 9/11.
    Ben

Grain on the Brain

Hey all:

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help! Everything ended up working great - the manager at the hotel where we stayed in Dallas (the Belmont - http://www.belmontdallas.com, which is a wonderful place if you are looking for something unique) was absolutely fantastic and allowed me to stash a box in her office while I was gone for the week.

I didn't get a chance to shop too much, but I did end up with a bottle of Prichard's, Henry McKenna 10yr BIB, Rock Hill Farms, and, of course, I stocked up on Buffalo Trace - all things that I can't find here in Oklahoma City, and (with the exception of BT) all things that I've never tried. Looks like I've got some tasting to do

Incidentally, I found that Boulevard restaurant in San Francisco has Hirsch 16 at the bar, which was a pleasant surprise. The food was very good as well.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the help!

--b

I'm going on a trip to arizona so this topic caught my eye. I bought a bottle of eagle rare to see how it fares on the trip. Not too expensive so I won't cry if it gets ruined. I'll also try to keep it upright and check on it every so often, so if the cork pops out no precious liquid shall be spilled.

I was talking to a friend about this issue. During the converstation, he told me about a bottle of Jim Beam white he kept in his trunk for emergencies. Sat there for a few years. Parked outdoors in a leaky "classic" car trunk. Found it one day, label all mildewed. Best Jim Beam white he ever tasted.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
    Best Jim Beam white he ever tasted.
    However, that's not saying much...

A true conneisseur enjoys all the colors of the rainbow.
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    However, that's not saying much...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Well, it didn't even take a week: one day of record high temps driving across Mississippi, all of 106 degrees and I had the top pop off of a bottle of Woodford that was in the bed of my truck (no A/C, so inside wouldn't have been any better). This normally wouldn't bother me, but is was a special selection bottling that is quite good. Luckily none seemed to spill out...

Next time, using ice packs to protect my cargo.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile