Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Pipe Smoking (best bourbon tobacco)

I've been working my way through several blends at my local pipe shop. My favorite so far has been the #17 "Chateau" blend. It is a soft, cool blend with vanilla and cherry notes. I just picked up an ounce of the #12 blend, a heavier, raisiny blend that will probably stand up to heavier bourbons like Stagg or VOB BIB.

I don't like cigars, so I don't look for tobacco that tastes just like a cigar. I look for tobaccos that mirror my favorite aspects of bourbon: vanilla, oak, and autumn.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

I have had only limited success at finding a truly outstanding pipe tobacco/bourbon pairing. That's not to say I don't enjoy such efforts, but I'm searching for a really good combo that makes each of them better together than on their own.

I think I came close to that last night. I enjoy McClelland's Arcadia quite a bit, and I've had it with several bourbons. Always enjoyable, but nothing I thought was amazing together. I had a pour of OGD 114 (current Beam release), and decided to light up some Arcadia. I wouldn't have guessed they would go well together, but they proved to complement each other very well. I'd give it an 8/10.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

I've got a blend that came as a gift in an unmarked bag, so I'm not sure what it is. It is mild and cool-burning and inoffensive, but it sure won't stand up to good bourbon. At a local dive the other night, I found to my amazement that this blend does pair well with Beam Eight Star blended whiskey on the rocks. (It was Eight Star or Miller Lite. I think I choose wisely.)

That shocked me since I don't think much of the Eight Star to begin with and I usually prefer neat bourbon with my pipe. But the fairly bland tobacco and the very bland whiskey both came to life (or facsimile thereof) when enjoyed together.

Granted, it wasn't the sort of combo you'd sit and enjoy while pondering the secrets of the cosmos. But it sure made for a nice round of Golden Tee with an old friend.

I guess you never know until you try.

Enthusiast

A favor:

Does anyone have open tins of the following tobaccos?

Squadron Leader
    Navy Flake (any brand)
    Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
    Blue Note
    Maltese Falcon
    Anything else super tasty?

If so, I would like to offer a trade. I'll send you 1/4 oz of my local tobacconist's best blend (in my opinion) in exchange for 1/4 oz of one of these tins. Bonus: I'll send you 50ml of a hand-selected bourbon to taste with your new tobacco!

Any takers?
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

--Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

I like Burley pipe tobaccos. No offense toward the technically better and more pricey English and Cavendish blends but I am going to have to voice a discordant voice here for cheaper Burley blends. Some of the over the counter brands, often found at drug stores, better local tobacconists and at on-line sellers like JRs are superb with Bourbon and Scotches. I very much like Walnut, Prince Albert, Captain Black, Sugar Barrel, Rum & Maple, Edgeworth, Granger, Sir Walter Raleigh, Kentucky Club and others of the same ilk. I would just add a caution to sample these tobaccos from the large 14 ounce tins rather than the small plastic pouches as I have found the pouches do not lend themselves to preserving the tobacco well and the tins seem to have a different, better flavor to them. Some of the store blends are also superb but more pricey. I like the Edwards line for those who have a store near them and the Perettis and Leavit & Pierce blends from the Boston area are amazing. Again, the issue is finding a liquor that can stand up to the tobacco and a tobacco that can stand up to the liquor. I feel you will not loose anything with the above tobaccos and may, in fact, find flavors never sensed before while pairing them with Bourbons. For whatever reason I think Bourbons and Burley tobaccos really enhance each other's flavors. They are essentially the products of the same land and the distillers of the past must have had those tobaccos on mind and tongue when they were developing their flavors. Just something to consider.

Enthusiast

A new recommendation:

I bought a tin of Peterson University Flake. It's a lightly scented blend with great flavor. It pairs very well with bourbon.

Flake tobaccos are a bit different...the tobacco comes looking like beef jerky. You can rub or break it to the texture you desire. I prefer it to ready-to-go tobacco.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

--Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

MJL if you like burley based tobaccos do yourself a favor and try Pease Haddo's Delight and Barbary Coast. Both contain cubed burley and a light topping of rum or whiskey. Perfect complement to a good bourbon.

Connoisseur

I've heard good things about the Haddo's, but have never seen it. Any suggestions for a place to procure some?
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    I've heard good things about the Haddo's, but have never seen it. Any suggestions for a place to procure some?
    Smokingpipes.com has the best price:
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/...Product_ID=230
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

--Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to try some and will report back here with my thoughts.