Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: 190 Proof Everclear…The Nuclear Bomb of Liquor

It's a very high threshold libertarian argument you're making, so lets jump to the far extreme. Is it okay for the government to ban the private manufacture and possession of nuclear weapons? Weaponized pathogens? How about keeping lions and tigers in a New York apartment? Are you equally as offended by government bans on those things?

The law has to balance. Is the loss of the legitimate uses for 190 proof Everclear outweighed by the harm caused by illegitimate uses?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The very title of this thread reveals fundamental ignorance about alcohol, "The nuclear bomb of liquor." The fact that a given product is high proof means you can ingest a certain amount of absolute alcohol more quickly, consuming less non-alcoholic liquid in the process. Exactly why is that valuable? Do you have so much trouble getting as drunk as you want to get on beer, at say 5% absolute alcohol, that you need something that's 95% absolute alcohol?

Do you laugh in Spinal Tap at the "This one goes to 11" scene? That's exactly the same kind of ignorance as getting all moist about high proof booze.

Banned User

Exclamation Re: 190 Proof Everclear…The Nuclear Bomb of Liquor

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's a very high threshold libertarian argument you're making, so lets jump to the far extreme. Is it okay for the government to ban the private manufacture and possession of nuclear weapons? Weaponized pathogens? How about keeping lions and tigers in a New York apartment? Are you equally as offended by government bans on those things?

The law has to balance. Is the loss of the legitimate uses for 190 proof Everclear outweighed by the harm caused by illegitimate uses?

The very title of this thread reveals fundamental ignorance about alcohol, "The nuclear bomb of liquor." The fact that a given product is high proof means you can ingest a certain amount of absolute alcohol more quickly, consuming less non-alcoholic liquid in the process. Exactly why is that valuable? Do you have so much trouble getting as drunk as you want to get on beer, at say 5% absolute alcohol, that you need something that's 95% absolute alcohol?

Do you laugh in Spinal Tap at the "This one goes to 11" scene? That's exactly the same kind of ignorance as getting all moist about high proof booze.

First, I don’t drink Everclear. I have not had the stuff for 15 years. Second, I don’t get drunk…not because I can’t, but because I’m not an alcohol abuser. Understand?

Anyway, Everclear is made for mixing. So, anyone who shots the stuff is knowingly ignoring the warnings…and if they get hurt, they are not victims.

Also, your comment stating, “The very title of this thread reveals fundamental ignorance about alcohol” is just plain silly. The title is not to be taken literally. It’s just a way to express the liquor is top tier proof wise. I understand fully how alcohol works. I’ve studied the science behind it for many years.

…and all that talk about Everclear helping to make meth...Jimmy crack corn and I don’t care. It’s not a vital component that is even remotely irreplaceable. You can ban every type of alcohol on the planet and methamphetamine / drug manufacturing will not be slowed one bit. If you think otherwise, I got a bridge to sell you.

Lastly, what the hell is this “same kind of ignorance as getting all moist about high proof booze” talk? Who’s getting “moist” over high proof booze? This is a “Non-Whiskey Alcohol” thread…can’t I discuss high proof alcohol on here or do I need your blessing to discuss alcohol that is over X-proof?

Advanced Taster

Our stomaches are only so big. Any substance that has the ability to alter our current state faster than another substance will maintain a place of prominence/controversy. Is it valuable? Not for me to say. Is it unique? Yes!

I picked up a bottle of 190 proof today just in case it gets banned nationwide one day. Who knows what I am going to do with it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    Our stomaches are only so big. Any substance that has the ability to alter our current state faster than another substance will maintain a place of prominence/controversy. Is it valuable? Not for me to say. Is it unique? Yes!

I picked up a bottle of 190 proof today just in case it gets banned nationwide one day. Who knows what I am going to do with it.
    I would say to taste it. Especially if you can get some other unaged spirits to try alongside. I think it's actually not too bad, though small sips are recommended.

High proof spirits do have an advantage in one thing other than just getting you drunk quicker. They will allow you to mix a drink that contains the same amount of alcohol without diluting the flavor as much. If you were to make a drink with say 2 oz of 95 proof vodka, that only has a total of 6 oz of actual drink, then the flavors you were mixing with were diluted 33%, but if you mix the same 6 oz drink with 1 oz of 190 proof GNS then the flavors are only diluted 16.5%. If the flavors are not as diluted they are more likely to taste like what you want them to taste like (Say the difference between TANG and Orange Juice).

Of course I'm not sure if any 190 proof spirits go through the fancy-schmancy filtering processes that many vodkas claim, or if the simple dilution to 80 proof would make the flavors (or lack thereof) comparable, but the basic thought of not making my OJ taste like TANG when I want a screwdriver during brunch, is enough to make me want to give it a shot.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

I'm entering this thread belatedly and only because of the dog angle.

I can't produce a source for this info, but I believe there's a reason that isopropyl (aka, "rubbing") alcohol is normally sold at a concentration of 70%. IIRC, at higher concentrations it damages the skin.

I assume that beverage alcohol would have a similar effect at the same concentration, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I hope you play it safe with your dog (Bloodhound? Bulldog?) and dilute the Everclear down to 140 proof or less.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Banned User

Thumbs up Re: 190 Proof Everclear…The Nuclear Bomb of Liquor

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    In any case, I hope you play it safe with your dog (Bloodhound? Bulldog?) and dilute the Everclear down to 140 proof or less.
    Yes! Dilution is the solution.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    I'm entering this thread belatedly and only because of the dog angle.

I can't produce a source for this info, but I believe there's a reason that isopropyl (aka, "rubbing") alcohol is normally sold at a concentration of 70%. IIRC, at higher concentrations it damages the skin.

I assume that beverage alcohol would have a similar effect at the same concentration, but I could be wrong.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Duke is a Cocker Spaniel. I wash the skin folds of his mouth with a wet washcloth dipped in Everclear that had been diluted to about 25% abv. I do this on a semi-daily basis when I brush him, clean his ears (this is important with flop eared breeds).

Using a soapy washcloth doesn't kill the odor and therefore, I'm assuming, the germs that can lead to infection. When I first discovered the ever-present odor, I took him to the vet, where I was informed of the possibility of infection, if the area isn't cleaned regularly.

As you can see from the pic, the area is always a "discolored brown"
    The skin fold on the lower jaw is quite small and doesn't get swiped clean when he licks his chops. In short that is the problem.

We don't have children, so If I am guilty of anything it is fussing over my dog. He's my "little boy".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 05-27-2007 at 13:40.

Guru

Brad,

Duke is obviously in good hands. I shall rest easy.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

Everclear was banned from retail sale in Ohio in 1982 after a college student drank too much of it and died. The state still warehouses it and many stores still have it in the back room. In order to buy it, you have to either present a doctors slip stating it is for medical use or or a company purchase order requesting it for industrial use. It appears that it is used to rub on arthritic joints. I also know for a fact that our local water treatment facilities buy it from time to time to use in the water treatment process. The guy who owns the local liquor store told me that anybody can technically buy some if they provide a signed letter stating it is not being purchased for human consumption. This is the State's way of collecting revenue while shielding itself from liability for misuse. The funny thing is, drinking an extra little bit of 151 rum or vodka will have the same result, yet both are readily available on store shelves here. Go figure!

Thomas