Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: 190 Proof Everclear…The Nuclear Bomb of Liquor

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Everclear nights are over on West Virginia campuses. State liquor authorities are banning the sale of 190-proof grain alcohol. Officials say they're responding to concerns of college officials, law enforcement and community groups. The high-octane booze is popular among students, who pour it into party mixes. One university official says the only reason to drink anything 190-proof is to get very drunk, very fast. But students won't have to give up their Jello-shots. West Virginia liquor stores can still sell 151-proof grain alcohol."

Though I recall Chicago and some other big cities banning it ostensibly for its use in the manufacture of crack cocaine, clearly other jurisdictions have restricted availability due to concerns about alcohol poisoning and other abuse.

There are legitimate uses for 190 proof GNS, even some involving beverages, but there is also widespread abuse of the stuff and the fundamental dumbness is that people think there is some macho cred to be had for drinking the "strongest" drink.

Yes, you can take a sip or two of 190 proof GNS and it won't hurt you, but to actually drink the stuff is suicide. Not suicide as euphemism, like eating a really hot pepper sauce, but suicide as "an act intended to cause your own death." If you start diluting it then, fine, you've made vodka.

But consider this statement from the AP story above: "One university official says the only reason to drink anything 190-proof is to get very drunk, very fast." That's the ignorant part. I maintain that you can get just as drunk just as fast drinking 100 proof bourbon. My authority on this point is impeccable. You gain nothing in intoxication onset speed or in intoxication severity by drinking 190 proof spirit instead of 100 proof spirit.

You can even kill yourself drinking 100 proof bourbon, if that is your intention. You don't even really need Everclear for that.

So I'm not ready to go to the barricades to keep 190 proof GNS in every liquor store in America.

"Yes, but, this one goes to 11."

Taster

Still here in Ga, don't drink it since im out of HS, but its BS that they're wanting to ban this as well. We have way to many candy asses out there. But i will say this, a fifth and 4 gallons of punch will do the trick at most parties..

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Still here in Ga, don't drink it since im out of HS, but its BS that they're wanting to ban this as well. We have way to many candy asses out there. But i will say this, a fifth and 4 gallons of punch will do the trick at most parties..
    Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.

Novice

Here in Alabama you can't buy a beer in a container over 16 oz or with more than 6% abv. But, you can still get Everclear, go figure.

Disciple

I have never seen Everclear in Japan, but there is a Polish Rectified Spirit that is even stronger. Bang for the buck is not bad. but not great. There are any number of ways to buy alcohol that is cheaper Absolute Alcohol/price. I have cut it and used it for hand sterilizer. I have also used it to cut essential oils.

I did drink Everclear punch back in my youth. Nasty stuff. Had a few sips neat, too. I liked to wet my tongue and then exhale through my mouth. Carefully, checking for open flames first.

One friend did do a flaming shot of the stuff. Didn't see him do it, but saw the burns on his arm the next day. He didn't die.

I think that most of the alcohol poisonings that take place happen because someone who is already very drunk does something stupid like try to chug a fifth of whatever spirit is close at hand. Mostly likely something in the 80 proof range. 190 is going to burn like hell no matter how drunk you are, or so I would think.

Speaking personally, the fastest way to get alcohol into my system is to drink ice cold beer. On a hot day, a frosty mug of beer might go down in one long drink to be followed by another as soon as it can be procured. To drink that much alcohol as whiskey in as short a time I would have to hold my nose, grit my teeth, and choke it down with water to follow. I would then be disinclined to have more right away. Not so with beer.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Everclear is available at a couple of different proofs but the main one is 190 proof, 95 percent alcohol. You say this Polish sprit is stronger? I always understood that, as a practical matter, 95% ABV is the limit. Am I wrong? (Not that another point or two, if possible, would matter much.)

But as to the rest of your point, plenty of kids have killed themselves with 80 proof vodka. You are correct that you don't need Everclear or anything close to it to achieve alcohol poisoning.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    I think that most of the alcohol poisonings that take place happen because someone who is already very drunk does something stupid like try to chug a fifth of whatever spirit is close at hand. Mostly likely something in the 80 proof range. 190 is going to burn like hell no matter how drunk you are, or so I would think.

Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Everclear is available at a couple of different proofs but the main one is 190 proof, 95 percent alcohol. You say this Polish sprit is stronger? I always understood that, as a practical matter, 95% ABV is the limit. Am I wrong? (Not that another point or two, if possible, would matter much.)

But as to the rest of your point, plenty of kids have killed themselves with 80 proof vodka. You are correct that you don't need Everclear or anything close to it to achieve alcohol poisoning.
    I have never witnessed anyone, out of their own stupidity, try to chug spirits of any kind. But what I have witnessed, and stopped when I could, is something far worse. Something that borders on criminal. I have seen youths encourage other less experienced peers to drink spirits faster and in greater quantity than is healthful.

Why anyone would think that is somehow funny is beyond me!

And, yes it is usually something in the 80-86 proof range.