Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,616

    Saddam's favorite SMS

    There was a documentary on TV the other night about Saddam Hussein. Like most documentaries these day, it included several "reenactments." In several scenes that supposedly showed Hussein meeting with aides, there is a bottle of scotch on the table. Although the label is partially obscured, it is clearly Laphroaig.

    Good to know in case he ever drops by.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,821
    Another reason not to like Scotch.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

  3. #3
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Alliance,Ohio
    Posts
    1,518
    A while back I saw a segment on one of those news shows that showed the aftermath of one of his palaces getting bombed. This particular one was one that his son lived in. In addition to the wine and really old cognac that remained after the attack, there were some bottles Of JD black as well as cans of Miller Genuine draft beer. Upon closer inspection, it was determined that these were originally exported to Jordan and then forwarded to Iraq. It just goes to show that money doesn't equate to having good taste. On the flip side, I'm glad that they had to settle for canned beer. long live bottles!

    thomas

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    A while back I saw a segment on one of those news shows that showed the aftermath of one of his palaces getting bombed. This particular one was one that his son lived in. In addition to the wine and really old cognac that remained after the attack, there were some bottles Of JD black as well as cans of Miller Genuine draft beer. Upon closer inspection, it was determined that these were originally exported to Jordan and then forwarded to Iraq. It just goes to show that money doesn't equate to having good taste. On the flip side, I'm glad that they had to settle for canned beer. long live bottles!

    thomas
    I think Saddam's entire life displayed that money could Never buy taste.
    Tim

    To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Saddam's favorite SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston View Post
    I think Saddam's entire life displayed that money could Never buy taste.
    I spent about a month in Baghdad back in May of 2003. The Military took over Qusay Hussein's house and found over 2000 bottles of top shelf liquor. So, long story short, we opened a bar and served 50 cent shots after work. I don't remember all the bottles that we had but I do remember that we had an abundance of JW Blue.

  6. #6
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    693

    Re: Saddam's favorite SMS

    I got a lot of buddies who got some cool stuff out of that place. Who were you there with?

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Saddam's favorite SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy View Post
    I got a lot of buddies who got some cool stuff out of that place. Who were you there with?
    I was a Gov't contractor doing some IT work. That's about all I can say about that.....

    Long 16 hour days, 140 deg. weather and lots of beer, scotch and bourbon after hours.

  8. #8
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    247

    Re: Saddam's favorite SMS

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy View Post
    I got a lot of buddies who got some cool stuff out of that place. Who were you there with?
    Sooo...
    What kind of cool stuff?

    ~tp

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    693

    Re: Saddam's favorite SMS

    If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya.

    Think Along the Kommon lines of things. 47 of them to be exact.

  10. #10
    Banned User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    Talking Re: Saddam's favorite SMS

    Thatís A lot of Kewl info 4 it only being June 7 when I read this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Favorite Bourbons
    By TimmyBoston in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 06:51
  2. And your favorite bourbons are?
    By alphaiii in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 05:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top