Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Dalmore 12/Highland Park 12

The Dalmore 12 is one of my favorite scotches. I really like the heather/honey quality. It is priced quite reasonably and it suites me when I want something different than bourbon but aren't in the mood for something really peaty like Ardbeg.

Highland Park isn't carried by most liquor stores in my area. But recently I did spot a lone bottle of the 12 year (I passed because of the price). Having read a few reviews elsewhere and a few taste descriptions here, I get the impression the Dalmore is sort of a poor mans Highland park. I don't mean that as a slam just as a means of comparison. Is that an accurate description? How do the two compare?

I'd like to try the Highland Park 12, but when it comes to scotch buying/ trying something new, it is always such a hit or miss proposition I'm gun shy.

Connoisseur

Re: Dalmore 12/Highland Park 12

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Having read a few reviews elsewhere and a few taste descriptions here, I get the impression the Dalmore is sort of a poor mans Highland park. I don't mean that as a slam just as a means of comparison. Is that an accurate description? How do the two compare?
    Yes and no. Dalmore doesn't have as much smokiness or peat as Highland Park. The smoky character of HP is significantly different from an Islay malt. It is more heathery and carries less salt/iodine. That said, there are similarities: honey/heather as you mentioned, and a soft fruitiness that creeps in on the back of the tongue. HP is, I find, more rounded, slightly less sweet, and a bit bigger than Dalmore. I prefer it, and it only runs about $2 more a bottle at my favorite liquor store. I buy both, but I replace the HP more often.

Enthusiast

By all means get the bottle! HP is a giant in my book, and while the 12yo or 18yo and older bottles go up in price exponentially, the 12yo is worth it. The complexities of heather and smoke, with mild sweeter flavors like cherries or dark fruit is carried in the glass like very few other Scotches. It's kinda like a Dalmore on steroids, but not in a negative way at all. It's big yet completely, incredibly balanced.

BTW how much is it going for? I have seen HP 12 anywhere from $48 to $33.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    ...it only runs about $2 more a bottle at my favorite liquor store. I buy both, but I replace the HP more often.
    Wow! I only pay 28 dollars a bottle for Dalmore 12, but this store wanted 42 bux for the Highland Park 12.

Connoisseur

Yeah, HP12 seems to be the most wildly fluctuating bottle of anything I've seen in terms of price. I get it for $29.95, but I've seen it for as much as $53 in a local store. Average price here seems to be about $36 or $38, which is still a good deal, IMO.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Wow! I only pay 28 dollars a bottle for Dalmore 12, but this store wanted 42 bux for the Highland Park 12.
    The HP price sounds reasonable, but the Dalmore price sounds like a steal!

To answer your question, I found Highland Park so be much more complex, combining smoke with "coastal" flavours (salt, seaweed) and is a bit honeyed. Dalmore wasn't bad - seemed to me like a typical highand whisky with a smoky backbone and lots of body. Definatly different whiskies...

Enthusiast

My vote goes to Highland Park 12 everytime. I have the 12 & 18 on hand at all times. I have a Dalmore 12 and a Cigar Malt that just doesn't get much attention with all the other choice's I have. I will say that I am a Peat-Freak, so I tend to always go for the Islay (& Talsiker),but Single Malt and Blended scotch drinker that come over almost always go for the HP's. I say go for it!!!
    Joe

Connoisseur

Michael Jackson the noted Whisky reviewer has called Highland Park "The Greatest all-rounder in the wold of malt whisky. Definitely in an island style, but combining all the elements of a classic single malt: smokiness (with its own heather-honey acent); maltiness; smoothness; depth, roundness and fullness of flavour; and length of finish - lovely any time. As a single malt, Highland Park develops to great ages. In blends, it is said to be a catalyst, bringing to great flavours of the other contributing malts."

I like the 18 which is about $55 at the moment around here.
    Illuminati in training

Guru

At that price consider buying all you can afford or finance at a reasonable interest rate.

Compare prices here and here.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

I know there is a wide range of prices on the 18 yo. Vermont has it for $50 while PA is about $75. Like anything else you gotta shop around.
    Illuminati in training