Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

A new barrel...FYI

Just to let you know...I picked a four year old barrel of Bourbon from KBD stocks and Toddy's Liquors in Bardstown is getting 1/2 of the barrel, should be available for sale on Tuesday the 11th of September, just in time for 2007 fall festival...(next week)

This is barrel proof...unchillfiltered whisky...it will have the Willett Estate label and be gold wax dipped...I don't have the proof, but guess it to be around 128 +- (forgot to ask)

Enthusiast

Re: A new barrel...FYI

Four year old? Kookie! So what does it taste like, compare to?

Thanks,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

Thanks,
    Mike...

This one has received several tasting notes that are quite interesting...I usually get a big sweetness and lots of cinnamon, others have mentioned a "citrus" note that I have not found, yet, anyway.

This was only released last Tuesday and I have not had enough time to really sit down with it and spend some time to make more detailed notes. It is a 4 year old after all...not fully matured, so there are flaws, but IMHO, the good, far outweigh the bad...amongst which, the fact that it is unchillfilterd and barrel proof at a very reasonable price point, makes it spot on!

Toddy's liquors was the local retailer that helped this project along, (Thanks Guthrie!!!!!)And I believe he is nearly out of stock...I have a few bottles remaining that are unspoken for...

This bottling went very fast, in time, and after the dust settles, I'll be considering another one...we'll see what unfolds.

I'll invite others to post tasting notes...but we should probably put those in the appropriate section on this site...

Best regards,

dog

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

In the swish and swill atmosphere of the Gazebo, the hot finish on this was what I remembered most.
    Thanks to Cliff, I got to do a leisurely and unadulterated tasting on Sunday.
    Wow!!
    Young but more complex and balanced than I gave it credit for. Yes, its dominated by Cinammon Red Hots on the back end, but the entry is cloying and sweet and the middle redolent with light brown sugar and corn husk.

I like it.

Keep'm coming.

Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle View Post
    Young but more complex and balanced than I gave it credit for. Yes, its dominated by Cinammon Red Hots on the back end, but the entry is cloying and sweet and the middle redolent with light brown sugar and corn husk.

Well spoken for a man known to be wearing only jockey shorts and a motorcycle helmet and holding a crab net with a wild bird in it.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Pay attention.

It was Boxers!!
    Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

Thanks,
    Mike...

This one has received several tasting notes that are quite interesting...I usually get a big sweetness and lots of cinnamon, others have mentioned a "citrus" note that I have not found, yet, anyway.

This was only released last Tuesday and I have not had enough time to really sit down with it and spend some time to make more detailed notes. It is a 4 year old after all...not fully matured, so there are flaws, but IMHO, the good, far outweigh the bad...amongst which, the fact that it is unchillfilterd and barrel proof at a very reasonable price point, make it spot on!

Toddy's liquors was the local retailer that helped this project along, (Thanks Guthrie!!!!!)And I believe he is nearly out of stock...I have a few bottles remaining that are unspoken for...

This bottling went very fast, in time, and after the dust settles, I'll be considering another one...we'll see what unfolds.

I'll invite others to post tasting notes...but we should probably put those in the appropriate section on this site...

Best regards,

dog