Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07

1.75L of Old Charter 8 and another 1.75L of Knob Creek - on sale.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Novice

Thanks BourbonJoe!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
    If you had your choice between 3 bottles of the Michter's 10yo Rye (KBD) or 1 bottle of Rittenhouse 21yo Rye, which would you choose?

It's a trick question. The correct answer is nine bottles of Weller 12.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Yesterday a 750 ml of Jim Beam Black, at Jewel-Osco: $23.79 - $3.80 "Preferred Savings" = $19.99 + $0.77 Cook County Liquor Tax + $1.80 Sales Tax = $22.56.

Enthusiast

Expensive day at the store yesterday.

3 bottles of Sazerac at $19.99 which I think is pretty good.
    1 Crown Royal
    1 Balvenie Doublewood
    2 Russell's Reserve
    1 Highland Park 12
    1 Wild Turkey 1.75L
    1 Jim Beam Black 1.75L

Chris

Connoisseur

I went to the liquor store today to pick up some JB Black since I have never tried it, and to get my father-in-law a bottle of Aberlour Abunadh. The store had some nice bottles that tempted me. They had some Black Maple Hill 14 ($68.20), Rock Hill Farms ($45.85), Hancocks Reserve ($50.05) AH Hirsch 16 ($114.00), and a nice supply of ETL which I always enjoy.
    I was tempted by the Rock Hill and the Hancocks. I am almost through my Rock Hill Farms, and have never tried the Hancocks. The Black Maple Hill and Hirsch are just more than I wanted to spend. So what did I walk away with...Bernheim Original! I have only seen it once before here in WA. so it caught my eye. Something different I guess, and at $42 even if it's not great, it was not a costly mistake. I did get the JB Black and Aberlour as well, but I wanted to give this a try.

Todd

Guru

If it were up to me, I'd take the RHF over the Hancock any day... particularly at the price quoted for the Hancock ---- seems rather high.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster

EC12, bout forgot how good it was. Nice price of 15.95

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    If it were up to me, I'd take the RHF over the Hancock any day... particularly at the price quoted for the Hancock ---- seems rather high.

I have a bottle of the RHF and I have enjoyed it. Hancock's is one that is not always on the shelf...but at $50 it runs into stiff competition with Bookers, one of my favorites. PVW 15 is also around $50 but I have not seen it on the shelf here in some time.
    I do enjoy trying new bottles, and I am sure I will end up with the Hancocks eventually, maybe even a bottle of the Black Maple Hill. The Hirsch is just a little excessive for me price wise. I will have to see if our big Bourbon bar in Seattle carries it and give it a try there.

There are still a few bottles (ORVW 10, Old Charter 12, Henry Mckenna SB) I want to try that are in the $20-$30 price range, and since I have not really disliked any bottles I have had so far, its hard to pay the big bucks (at least by my standards thats anything over $50) for one single bottle. I am just getting into my overtime season at work, so who knows what will turn up on the shelf?
    Todd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    I went to the liquor store today to pick up some JB Black since I have never tried it, and to get my father-in-law a bottle of Aberlour Abunadh. The store had some nice bottles that tempted me. They had some Black Maple Hill 14 ($68.20), Rock Hill Farms ($45.85), Hancocks Reserve ($50.05) AH Hirsch 16 ($114.00), and a nice supply of ETL which I always enjoy.
    I was tempted by the Rock Hill and the Hancocks. I am almost through my Rock Hill Farms, and have never tried the Hancocks. The Black Maple Hill and Hirsch are just more than I wanted to spend. So what did I walk away with...Bernheim Original! I have only seen it once before here in WA. so it caught my eye. Something different I guess, and at $42 even if it's not great, it was not a costly mistake. I did get the JB Black and Aberlour as well, but I wanted to give this a try.

The Bernheim is a really good wheated whiskey in my opinion. A little steep on the price though. I wait for the ABC to put it on sale and usually pick it up for $29.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog