Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07

While out and about, I found a bottle of ER101 (New Orleans label) to take home.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Taster

Picked up EC 12, JDSB, OO tonight, been wanting to try these for a while.
    Got some serious tasting to do….

Virtuoso

A bottle of Rittenhouse BIB to replace a departed one, along with a bottle of Hendrick's Gin, and a fifth of Vya red vermouth because (a) my Carpano Antica Formula is getting low, (b) I like variety, and (c) top-shelf vermouths make a big difference in the quality of the cocktails made with them.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Jim Beam Black, Elijah Craig 12yo, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Old Forester 86 or Signature (aka, 100 Proof or BIB, in past dresses), Old Charter 10yo or Classic 12yo (still spotty availability in TN).
    And, welcome to the forum.
    Thanks Tim, I picked up a bottle of EC 12. Very good everyday poor. Also, had an unexpected surprise when a friend stopped by on his way back from Kentucky and dropped off a bottle of Four Roses SB. Can't beat that!

Guru

Received via UPS a 1976 bottling of Yellowstone in the original box.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

I found an old dusty Blanton's today, label says it was dumped in '84, and the price on it was only $26.99. I brought it up to the counter and gave up one of my favorite lines..."Is this the best price you can give me on this?". He said "I've had that bottle for a LONG time, I'll give it to you for $20". I thanked him and bought the bottle. He didn't even add tax, it was $20 out the door!

Then elsewhere I found a 1.75L Old Charter 10yo 86 proof with a tax strip (unprinted), and the number on the bottom of the bottle is 89 (is this bottle from 1989?). Also, there is not a government health warning on the label. Does that give any indication of the age? I think I remember reading about a point in time when they started putting the government health warnings on labels, but I don't remember what year that happened. I went ahead and bought it for $27.99. Was that a fair deal?

Taster

gblick,
    Congratulations on these great finds! Especially the Blanton!

At a store about 5 minutes from my work I found an OC 1.75L exactly as you described (don't know about the date on the bottom) going for $39.99. At another store not too far away I saw a 1.75L OC 10yo (Louisville) but without a tax strip and with a government warning that was going for $29.99. Based on these two, it sounds like you got a fair deal.

Also, over on the BourbonEnthusiast forum under the Collector's Corner there is a sticky thread by bourbonv called "How old is your bottle?" It is very informative and answers some of the questions about when government warnings started and other items. Thanks bourbonv.

Bob
    Last edited by Yellowjacket; 07-18-2007 at 16:52.

Connoisseur

Came back from Mexico yesterday and hit the dutyfree looking for any export only bourbon. Unfortuately nothing special, actually the only bourbons were Jim Beam White or Black so forgot about the bourbon and went with Tequila cream and 43 (have no idea what it takes like but friends recommended it - made with 43 herb flavorings)
    Tom

Advanced Taster

In Sioux Falls for business this week and purchased 2 Thomas H Handy's (this one has grown on me) and 2 William Larue Wellers from '06 BTAC series. All were well packed and on the way back home to San Diego...

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info, Bob.
    I'll save this old Blanton's and bring it over to Randy's when we get together next month, so we can try it (if y'all want). I was reading about Blanton's in some other threads and found out about the different 'barrel proofs' and such. This one is just the normal single barrel.

Here's the info on the label:

Registered Bottle No. 271
    Dumped on 10-11-84
    From Barrel No. 534
    Warehouse H
    Rick No. 47
    93 Proof

I guess he had it marked so low because the seal is gone and the level of whiskey is not all the way up to the neck (evaporation perhaps?). He swore it had never been opened, said he's had it forever even from his old store then to his house when he was between stores and then now to his present store. He seemed like a trustworthy old guy and was very kind, so I figured what the heck, it's only $20.

Gus