Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    ...Registered Bottle No. 271
    Dumped on 10-11-84
    From Barrel No. 534
    Warehouse H
    Rick No. 47
    93 Proof...
    If I'm not mistaken, 1984 is when Blanton's first appeared, so this is a very early bottling. It would be interesting if you can compare it to a current bottling of the same parameters (proof/age).
    I'm of the opinion that early bottlings of single barrels are superb, because the selector(s) essentially has/have free range over previously-unculled barrels. I have a 1994 WT Kentucky Spirit (first released in 1995), for example, that is wonderful bourbon.
    Tim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, 1984 is when Blanton's first appeared, so this is a very early bottling. It would be interesting if you can compare it to a current bottling of the same parameters (proof/age).
    I have a bottle from 12-2-05, Barrel 20, Warehouse H, Rick 8, 93 Proof (opened but still at least 3/4 full) that I'll be happy to bring over to Randy's, and we can compare them. Maybe he even has some on hand to throw into the fray. I'm no good at tasting notes, so I'm sure he and others could probably make a more expert comparison. Will make a note to bring these and report back.

Enthusiast

Elmer T Lee. I have been considering this one for some time now and finally pulled the trigger. $22.99 here in Wisconsin. A recent trip through the world of straight rye whiskey has prevented me from getting this one sooner. the next question will be which way to go next. Bourbon or Rye.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Hey Gus, I have a current expression and a gold both unopened and a straight from the cask about half full. Sure, we can do a Blanton's tasteoff at the Houston get together.

Randy

Enthusiast

This year I bought ETL to bring to a bachelor party. My friends love whiskey/coke crown/coke so I was trying to get them into bourbon/rocks. Most tried it and they all thought I was nuts, drank 1/2 the bottle myself. Good stuff.

Bought 1792 and I have had about 4 pours off of it so far.

Bought EC 12 and brought it to a wedding (same group of guys) I drank most of the bottle over 12hrs and I give it and encourage it to anyone who'll try it. I usually try the lighter bourbons on newbies.

A forum member is trying to track down some GTS for me, San Diego is not a bourbon hot spot. I may go hunting but it's always a rarity to find dusty bottles.

In August I"m going to Portland OR and up there is the Whiskey House that has a TON of old bourbons etc... or ones I've never tried so I'll be tasting bourbons for 4 days there. They will not sell you more than 3 in one sitting as the drunker you get the less you appreciate. Apparently the owner is a whisky/bourbon fanatic.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Hey Gus, I have a current expression and a gold both unopened and a straight from the cask about half full. Sure, we can do a Blanton's tasteoff at the Houston get together.

Randy
    Cool, looking forward to it.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post

Randy
    Randy, Gus:
    I have a 1995 Blanton. If you want, I could bring it and we might also do a "by each decade" comparison.

Bob

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    Randy, Gus:
    I have a 1995 Blanton. If you want, I could bring it and we might also do a "by each decade" comparison.

Bob
    Sounds good to me.

Back on topic..

I'm outta control (was trying to slow down, but couldn't pass these up).
    I found/bought two dusties today:
    1.75L Old Fitz BIB, tax strip, DSP-KY-16 ($27.99).
    1.75L Old Fitz Prime, tax strip, presumably placed on shelf at same time as the BIB ($20.99).

Guru

A. H. Hirsch Rye, 8 yrs old.

Almost non drinkable, awful stuff.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

HI Phishy, I must admit I started out drinking whiskey/Coke and slowly progressed to Whiskey rocks/water then on to neat. So keep working on your friends. The 80 proofs might be where you want to start as well. Maybe single one out of the crowd and have him over for a night of tasting. They might just fall like dominos once you get one started. Or you can double team the rest. Good Drinking. Sorry for the hi-jack.

Tim