Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07

Hope those 6 PVW 20's last you a while, unless you're having a party and feeling generous. I went through almost 2 bottles at a party in January. I also get a hint of vanilla in it. It's a favorite around here.

Connoisseur

Went to the store to grab another bottle of Weller Antique but wound up coming home with a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB instead. I figured it was time to expand my American whiskey horizons a bit. A good deal at only $13; most noticeable to me is the cinnamon in the nose and taste.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Virtuoso

Today I got off work early, so I decided to take a detour on the way home to check some liquor stores that I hadn't checked since before my recently aquired bourbon obsession.

At one store I found and bought two Pappy Van Winkle 15yo's, an ORVW 15/107, an ORVW 10/107, and an ORVW 'Very Special Stock' 10/90.4. The prices were fair to begin with, but I haggled a 10% discount for buying them all which made it a good deal.

I'd never seen nor heard of the ORVWVSS so I had to pick it up. Tonight I did a search here and found this thread started by Doubleblank:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=4703

It's exactly as Randy described in the above thread (no front label, etc.), except it was distilled in late 1992 instead of 1994. Oh, and it wasn't in a red bag either. The store owner said they sent it to him by mistake when he had ordered some other VW 10yo.

And I just told myself I was gonna hold off buying any more for awhile.

Buffalo Trace is finally availabe here in Albuquerque, so I picked up a bottle today. I was pretty pleased to see it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    Went to the store to grab another bottle of Weller Antique but wound up coming home with a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB instead. I figured it was time to expand my American whiskey horizons a bit. A good deal at only $13; most noticeable to me is the cinnamon in the nose and taste.
    Both of those are fine choices at a great pricepoint. I found the Weller Antique for $15 a bottle the other day...cheapest I've paid so far.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Both of those are fine choices at a great pricepoint. I found the Weller Antique for $15 a bottle the other day...cheapest I've paid so far.
    Definitely, the Weller Antique is one of my favorites. $15 is a good deal, the cheapest I've seen this bottle for is $19.50. Not a lot of stores carry it but most around here that do have it priced a little under $25. It's crazy how much the prices can vary even on these mid-shelf bottles, I'd still pay $25 for the Weller Antique if I had to though.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    I'd still pay $25 for the Weller Antique if I had to though.
    I opened up a bottle yesterday and the same thought struck me, although my thought was a tad more expensive than yours. I was thinking $30 would neither surprise nor dissuade me. (Don't tell BT, though).
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

This week, I picked up another bottle of Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve.
    I'm stocking up while they are in plentiful supply here....

Guru

Replaced the recently departed OGD 114 and EWSB 1997.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

With all the new SB'ers here in Houston cleaning off the shelves of SW whiskey, I went and emptied a local store of those one liter Weller Antique 107's from Louisville. They had been there awhile, so it was time.

Hey Gus, here's a pic of how that VW Special Stock 90.4 proof bottles look when you get the personalized labels done.
    Attached Images Attached Images