Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 6/07: Jim Beam Black

I tried a 375 ml. bottle a couple of months ago. Lots of flavor there but I thought it was thin and actually a little harsh. Not a good combination in my book. As far as Beam products go I would save up a little more money and get KC. I much prefer OGD BIB and J.W. Dant BIB and they are cheaper to boot.

Banned User

Smile Re: BOTM, 6/07: Jim Beam Black

Jim Beam White is what I cut my teeth on, so I have a special place in my heart for Beam products.

Putting any biases to the side, I like Jim Beam Black. It doesn’t stand out as a top pick for a middle-shelf bourbon, but it holds it’s own. I would like to see the price a few dollars lower to give it true “bang for the buck” status.

Connoisseur

I just poured myself a 1792, then I saw this thread. The only JB black I have is a 50ml bottle I got at KBF last year. I opened it just now and I think it is quite good, even compared to 1792. I'll save the other half of the bottle and compare it to KC tomorrow evening. For the difference in price, I'll have to buy a bottle of this.

Stu

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperspace View Post
    Jim Beam White is what I cut my teeth on, so I have a special place in my heart for Beam products.

Putting any biases to the side, I like Jim Beam Black. It doesn't’t stand out as a top pick for a middle-shelf bourbon, but it holds it’s own. I would like to see the price a few dollars lower to give it true “bang for the buck” status.
    If you go a few dollars cheaper than $20, It would be the same price as JBW. That would make for headache's trying to figure out what to get

Now I see complaints about $20 being to high for an 8 yo, 86 proof bourbon. What do those who feel $20 is to high for an everyday bourbon drink? I haven't come across many good bottles under $20 that I would say justified no going for the extra 3 or 4 dollars. I can't find many of those cheap gems like AAA 10 yo, VOB 100, and those VRO HH's in NY so to me $20 is almost stealing when it comes to finding a good everyday at that price. I don't know how much everybody drinks a month, but I finish maybe 1 bottle a month. Since it is ME drinking this I tend to feel that a budget of $30-$40 a month is OK for the every days ( Now don't count the other $500 a month on all the dusty finds, must-haves, and micro-beers I "collect") What I'm trying to say I guess is that JB Black IS IMHO one of the best "bang for your buck" bourbon's out there. $20 and almost always some free gift is a great price on Long Island.

Just my 2 cents......no disrespect or arguments intended.....
    Joe

Advanced Taster

Had a mini of this about a month ago. The first thing that came to my mind when drinking it was, "Hey this tastes kinda like scotch!" Not to say that it it tasted expensive, but rather it had a malty taste to it that I haven't tasted in any other bourbon. Much better than Beam white in my opinion, and a good pour overall.

Banned User

Smile Re: BOTM, 6/07: Jim Beam Black

Quote Originally Posted by Joeluka View Post
    If you go a few dollars cheaper than $20, It would be the same price as JBW. That would make for headache's trying to figure out what to get

Well, here is an example of prices from an average liquor store where I live:

12.99 + Tax = $13.77 for JBW
    19.59 + Tax = $20.77 for JBB ($7 more then JBW)

If I took a few dollars (2) off from JBB…it would cost $18.65…that’s still $4.88 more then JBW. So, how are you claiming it would cost the same?

Like I said, “It doesn’t stand out as a top pick for a middle-shelf bourbon” to me. I guess you like the stuff better then me. I just don’t think it’s worth paying almost $21 for.

___

Taster

Locally this is the same price as Elijah Craig 12, and not much cheaper than Eagle 10yr SB...all of which come from the same HORRIBLE distributor. Personnaly I've never been a fan of the Beam Black(sucking on graphite is not my thing), and the fact that local distributors ram it down our throat every few months makes this a major loser in my book. If local distributors paid half the attention to Eagle or Elijah, I would be ecstatic.

Enthusiast

On Long Island JBW-$14.99
    JBB-$19.99

Now I always thought a couple was two and a few was 4 or 5. My bad.

But I guess you noticed my bunker and bar so you can see I have a problem. Nothing personal I just did the math different.
    Joe

Advanced Taster

I am not a big Beam fan. However, during these hot summer months, I will fancy a whiskey poured over crushed ice. JBBL really fits the bill in this department. Something about this stuff does not lend it to being a good straight pour. But when mixed with ice, everything lines up nicely and JBBL becomes a true value. And very enjoyable. A bold yet unobtrusive presence. Nice oak and other flavors stand up with a mellow confidence. Very relaxing and worth the price.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Taster

Every Beam pour(excluding the small batch) I have had has some characteristic that makes me say "I can tell thats Jim Beam" I'm not sure what it is. Its in the finish, I think harsh is to strong of word, I just can't place it. That being said, I think that JBBL is ok, but for the money there are others I would choose. ETL, ERSB 10, OGD 114 are around the same price, and EWSB is only a couple bucks more. And I can get OGD BIB for less then JBBL. If JBBL was a few bucks cheaper, it would be a good value, as it stands now, I can get something that is much better in my opinion.