Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

What is your "everyday pour"?

Since the forums have been pretty dead for the past few days, I thought I would ask a general question to try to stir up some discussion. What is your everyday pour?

I have two moderately priced and two fairly inexpensive bourbons that I go to, time after time.

First and foremost, Rare Breed ($31 at Alabama ABC store). Many of you probably know it is my very favorite bourbon, so damn the expense, I pour it whenever I want to. Extremely rich flavor and body.

Second, Knob Creek (normally $32 per 750 ml, but I managed to get a 1.75 L on sale for $47 in November). Excellent flavor that I liken to VSOP cognac. Pleasantly woody. Lots of different flavors come across. A great drink.

My economical (but, not cheap) choices are Old Forester 100 proof ($15.49) and Elijah Craig 12 yr-old ($16). The OF is almost exactly the same as Woodford Reserve (just a tad less smooth) at half the price. And the EC is my very favorite of the Heaven Hill offerings, with a beautiful maple-syrup aroma and flavor but mysteriously not the least bit sweet. EC is my favorite "warm me up" drink on a cold fall or winter evening.

How about you?

Tim

Guru

Re: What is your \"everyday pour\"?

Well, I tried.

Connoisseur

Tim,

The Elijah Craig 12 is a fantastic 'everyday' choice. Great taste, great value. And don't forget its older sibling, the EC 18 yr single barrel. Selling for $28 at ABC liquors, it's an amazing value in itself -- much more so when you factor its age and single barrel origin. Give the 18 a try.

Omar

Guru

Thanks, I would love to try that, but I have never seen it. Availability is always a major issue when you have to deal with a state-run ABC store.

Tim

The Boss

Re: What is your "everyday pour"?

Indeed, EC 12 YO is my hands down choice for everyday pour as well. A superb bourbon regardless of price.
    Omar, you've got to be the first person on this forum whom I've heard speak of the 18 YO in such positive fashion. I'm fond of it as well, but in a blind test, I bet I'd prefer the 12.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Advanced Taster

Can I join in on this from overseas guys?

As I'm writing this it is almost 1:00am so you must know what
    kind of condition I am.Drunk and I love it!
    Starting the night I had two beers,two japanese sake,shots of
    Evan Williams 91 Single Barrels,and at home front of this PC.
    Very difficult question,not because of the alcohol at this time,
    Eligah Craigh 12y is a good everyday drink at $22 a bottle here
    i n Japan.If my wallet would let me I'd like to sip some Hirsh series
    or some Russels Reserve or Stone Castle,but that is like once a
    year.When I go camping on my Harley,I take along a Rare Breed.
    My friends always love it,even if they arent bourbon lovers.

Koji

The Boss

>>Starting the night I had two beers,two japanese sake,shots of
    >>Evan Williams 91 Single Barrels,and at home front of this PC.

Koji,
    Sounds like tremendous fun, but I don't think I'd want to be you in the morning.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi-De-Ho Fellers! Mind if I play?

I keep these bourbons about in abundance > > > I buy them in the BIG 1.75l size.

1) Old Forester - good old regular 86 proof. I like it, but I can't get the 100 proof in Va I've been drinking this fine bourbon for 25 years or so. $21 per jug whenever it's 'on sale'

2) Elijah Craig 12 y.o. 94 proof - This bourbon just keeps getting better. I always keep a big jug af this handy. It's 'on sale' this month for $27.

3) Ancient Anciet Age 10 y.o. - This bourbon *used* to be 90 proof, but now it's only 86. Still this is the classic Old Stagg recipe. Now known as BT#2 this mashbill brings us; Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee, and Hancock's President's Reserve single barrel bourbons. You would pay $40 - $50 a 750nl bottel for these fine single barrels. I pick up AAA 10 y.o. on sale at $21 a 1.74l jug. Folks this is the most barginrific bourbon on the market!

4) Good Old Jim Beam Black Label 8 y.o. - now 86 proof - Can't affod to drink Knob Creek everyday??? No neither can I. JB's Black Label is close and at $25 per 1.75l it's a good tasting deal.

Yes there are a lot of other bourbons I'd rather drink everyday, but no I'm not rich enough to afford them! So these are the bourbons I drink most frequently.

Belly up and enjoy!

[b]Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guru

Linn, I would have been disappointed if you HADN'T chimed in.

BTW, I think my ABC store's stock of AAA is still the 90 proof version. I'd better buy some before it rolls over.

Thanks, Tim

The Boss

O.K. now I've got an idea. I just can't get over anyone thinking AAA 10 is drinkable, hardly yet good. I'll be seeing Ken Weber and Elmer T. Lee this weekend, and I'm going to take my bottle with me -- have 'em check it out. Maybe I've got a rotten bottle. Yes Linn, I know I'm an oddball, but this stuff tastes like lacquer thinner to me. It ought to say "Glidden" on the label!

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com