Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Boss

Re: What is your "everyday pour"?

O.K. now I've got an idea. I just can't get over anyone thinking AAA 10 is drinkable, hardly yet good. I'll be seeing Ken Weber and Elmer T. Lee this weekend, and I'm going to take my bottle with me -- have 'em check it out. Maybe I've got a rotten bottle. Yes Linn, I know I'm an oddball, but this stuff tastes like lacquer thinner to me. It ought to say "Glidden" on the label!

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: What is your \"everyday pour\"?

I almost always have some Old Fitz BIB on hand. Jim Beam Black is another regular visitor.

Though not an "everyday" pour, I do endorse Omar's recommendation of Elijah Craig 18 year old. A real revelation.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

The Boss

>>Starting the night I had two beers,two japanese sake,shots of
    >>Evan Williams 91 Single Barrels,and at home front of this PC.

Koji,
    Sounds like tremendous fun, but I don't think I'd want to be you in the morning.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Advanced Taster

I guess I've got "old timey" taste - I love that rye and barrel char more than the sweetness of many of the bourbons listed. OGD BIB, Rare Breed and Van Winkle 13 YO rye (a great bargain at my favorite PA LCB store at $29) are old reliables for me. Now, to bring down everyone's wrath, I also like an occasional dark navy-style rum. Pusser's blue label (95.5 proof - the original shipboard rum of the British Royal Navy) is on sale for $12.99 and I just had to buy a couple bottles. Just think of me as a bipartisan Revolutionary War re-enactor! I'd sell booze to both sides from my tavern on the banks of the Mon.

Ralph Wilps

**DONOTDELETE**

Well Jim you just might have a poor bottle, but you simply mayn't like the AAA flavor profile.I also remember that you don't like Knob Creek. I love it. It's not a sin not to like every bourbon. I surely don't.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

The Boss

Linn,

Perhaps, but I know the difference between bourbon I don't care for and bourbon that's plain wrong. I don't care for KC because it tastes like JB white label to me. I don't think there's anything amiss with it, nor do I feel it's low quality bourbon. In all fairness to Beam Distilleries, I havent tried any in the last four years, and maybe there have been changes (in my taste buds as well as the bourbon.)

The AAA I've got is off, or else it's just rotgut. Every single one of my friends has turned thier nose up at it -- sober, drunk -- state of mind doesnt seem to matter. I can articulate the flavor component I don't care for in it as well; aldehydes. It tastes just like an interrupted pilot flame in a gas oven smells...acrid.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Guru

Excellent! Pusser's sounds very interesting, but I have never seen it. I have been a longtime fan of Myers's, though. Is it similar?

Have you ever tried Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy? That is a real taste treat.

Tim

Advanced Taster

hi Jim
    is that really 10 yrs old or just AAA ? IMO the 10yr is pretty good stuff but like you said you may have a bad bottle. life is good--den

Advanced Taster

Tim:

Pusser's blue laber (not the weak red label) is quite different from Myer's. As I recall, Myer's is basically an unaged rum with molasses added to give it color and flavor, so the dominant taste is that of alcoholic molasses. Pusser's gets its color from ageing (some would say "baking") in the Caribbean. It is stronger, has a heavier body and a fruity, tarry flavor that apparently is particularly appreciated after a watch spent squinting into a force 5 north Atlantic gale looking for U-boats (read the novels by Douglas Reeman for a great, salty sense of the heroism of that time). By the way, a substantial portion of the profit from each case of Pusser's sold goes to the Royal Navy seamen's relief fund. I have some more historical info if you want to contact me off-forum.

I'll have to try the Mt. Gay cane brandy on your recommendation...I'll let you know how it compares to a good bourbon!

Ralph

**DONOTDELETE**

Yowzer Jimbo! They don't call it Anti-Aircraft Artillery fer nothin'!

Really now >> try this!!

Have Ken Weber pour you a taster's portion of; AAA 10 y.o., Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, and Hancock's President's Reserve. Have Ken mark the glasses so only he knows what's what.

Do this >> Pick out the pour that you think tastes best. Then pick out the one you think tastes the worst.

Honestly report back your findings.

Then fly to Virginia. Get totally [censored] faced. Loose all your pants. Go pants shopping at Super Wal-Mart at Midnight. Get arrested for nude shopping. Make the front page of Malt Advocate. Sell the movie rights to Greg Kitzmiller. End up getting laid somewhere in Mexico. You go to bed with Hide Klum, but wake up with Judge Judy!!!.

Chris Suqire sends you an autographed 'concert used' Rickenbacker, and an Ampeg Amp.

You are voted G.Q.'s Sexiest Man Alive..... then you wake up with a hangover. Damned AAA!!!

[b]It's too bootylicious for ya Babe!!!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Linn on Tue Mar 12 08:58:43 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>