Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What is your \"everyday pour\"?

I usually rotate these three:

Evan Williams '90
    Maker's Mark
    Rock Hill Farms

plus I have a bottle of Pappy 20 yr. for special occasions. If UK goes past the 2nd round, that's good enough for me.

There is a hole in Misery's fence.
    They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

Disciple

Re: What is your "everyday pour"?

I Have a bottle of Jack Daniels Old No.7 Black Label because most of my friends insist on it when the visit. (most prefer the sweetness to actual bourbon)

For my personal everyday pour i have either a bottle of Maker's Mark or an Evan Williams Vintage (1990 @ the moment) on hand most regularly.

I save the Blanton's For Special occasions.

Novice

Such a great question. Despite all the great bourbons I have on the shelf, I find myself reaching for a few favorites everytime (including tonight, sittin' back right now at 4am with Old Rip):

1. WIld Turkey Rare Breed
    2. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year

The two above have distinct differences in taste and my selection of either depends on my mood. But since both are reasonably priced, I say keep 'em pourin'.

Same goes for Wild Turkey 101... when visiting a drinking establishment with a limited selection it's always my pour of choice. Even though I don't keep it in my personal stock, Maker's Mark is also a favorite stand-by.

- wonderchimp

Advanced Taster

Speaking of old rip van winkle 10 year, do you think it is preferrable to the old rip van winkle 15 year? I only have a bottle of the 15 year, and that, along with rare breed and jim beam black (7year 90 proof version at the moment) seem to be what i am reaching for most often... I am trying to taste something new every once in a while... For a while i LOVED jefferson reserve, but i tried it again a few months ago, and it was not nearly as good as i remember... I wonder if it was because of changing tastes or because of something stupid like watering it down too much/not enough...

**DONOTDELETE**

Kris & Chris please allow me to butt in here. Jefferson's Reserve is good, but not $50 a bottle good. Your observations are pertinent in that both your bourbonic knowledge and your tasting abilities are growing. I was very happy to meet you both at last years Bourbon Festival at Bardstown, and I am likewise happy to see you both participate on the forum. YOU ROCK!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Linn on Sat Mar 16 08:39:25 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

**DONOTDELETE**

Suzie - Rock Hill Farms is one of your 'everyday pours'?! I'll get a divorce. Marry me now! Quick -> before the liquor stores close! Yes I'll buy you a ring.
    Now open that bottle and take your pants off rapidly !

I've often been accused of having a 'two track' mind. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I wonder just what they're talking about?

Bourbon&Babes.Bourbon&Babes.Bourbon&Babes.Bourbon& Babes.Borubon&Babes.Bourbon&Babes.
    Do you feel a draft? Where's my Pants?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Novice

The only reason I prefer Old Rip Van Winkle 10 over 15 for daily enjoyment is the price ($25 vs. $38). From a taste perspective, both are very similar. They share a lot of the same wonderful taste characteristics. Can't go wrong with either one. However, I give my vote to the 15 since I enjoy the stronger, fuller taste and higher proof (107 vs 90).

- wonderchimp

Advanced Taster

Speaking of good but not worth the $$ good, has anyone tried that $200 distillers masterpiece? I can't imagine what a bourbon is like that is worth $200... My friend has recently been purchasing loads of bourbon and distillers masterpiece was one of them. He says he will wait for his retirement to open it... I wonder how many people actually open such a bottle...

We look forward to seeing everyone again at this years bourbon festival...

Novice

Yes, Rock Hill is my favorite of the three. I guess I consider it my "good everyday" pour--reserved for semi-important events that are not quite worth the Pappy (pre-Final Four UK games, a good day at the races, etc.) Evan and Maker's are more "ordinary everyday" pours (lousy day at work, just want to relax, etc.). If you're ever in Florence, I'll pour you a double. But I'm afraid marriage is out of the question--my children won't like you. *LOL*

--Suzie

There is a hole in Misery's fence.
    They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

Taster

Although I have not yet had the opportunity to taste the 15-year-Old Rip Van Winkle, I do agree with your assessment of the 10-year-old Old Rip Van Winkle. It has a terrific “spicy” taste. It seems like I can taste something different with each drink. At $25 it is at a reasonable cost for quality 10 year bourbon. My only problem is that it is not readily available where I live, but have been able to special order it from a local liquor store.

Todd