Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taster

Exclamation Multiple Open Bottle..

How is it that a lot of ppl on here have multiple bottles open, im lucky if a fifth goes more than a 3 or 4 days. And what are you big drinken guys buying that is decent that don't flatten your wallet?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Muliple Open Bottle..

The first trick is to buy it faster than you can drink it.

Trick number two is to find some way to ignore the cost.

Once you have a large enough stock built up, simply replacing empty bottles and trying new releases will allow it to self-maintain.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Banned User

Wink Re: Muliple Open Bottle..

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    And what are you big drinken guys buying that is decent that don't flatten your wallet?

I think some of the people on here must have FAT wallets...especially after seeing this one thread that showed the bunkers that some of the members have.

Trip on this thread ---> http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3213&highlight=Show+your+stash

___
    Last edited by Hyperspace; 06-07-2007 at 21:02. Reason: To insert thread URL

What'd ya buy it for? If it's for drinkin', open it. That's why it was made! It won't go bad.
    Tim

Guru

Variety is the spice of life....or so they say. I love having mutiple bottles open in order to keep it interesting. At present, I believe I have somewhere around 20 bottles open and another 100+ bunkered. My stock is in constant rotation so I never get bored.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Taster

Good god .. i'd have to buy a bulk to start w just to keep it goin... Im goin back to Everclear and Koolaid.

Just kiddin

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've been at this a long time and until just a few years ago, I generally kept so few bottles on hand that I would actually--gasp!--run out. I'm not sure what happened, but now I have quite a few, though surely less than 100. Probably between 1/3 and 1/2 of what I have is open.

Most of what I buy is right around $20 a bottle and for everything I buy that's more than $30 I probably buy something that's less than $10.

Also, quite likely all of the above is a lie, because I am in deep denial.

Guru

Once you start buying and bunkering more than you drink in a given time frame it doesn't take long for bottles to pile up.

I set aside a little money with each paycheck for whiskey purchases. After all, it ain't just a grocery item, it's a hobby. The hobby angle is also a good way to justify spending that much money to the wife. When questioned further, I always say: If I didn't buy it at the liquor/ grocery store I'd have to go to bars to drink my favorite pours. Then strange women would hit on me. Yea, like that ever happens.

I'm not quite as into this hobby as some of the others around here. I typically keep three or four bottles open and a reserve of about the same.

However, a fifth in four days? Wow. I am on about a one bottle a month pace. Currently I have open: Russell's Reserve, Old Grand Dad 114, Booker's, Old Forester 100, and Pappy Van Winkel 20 yo. I don't have anything left in the reserve as I just opened the RR and OGD the other night.

I don't drink cheap stuff, because I think life is too short to drink bad whisky and wine. I'd rather reduce consumption than drink stuff like JB White...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Guru

A bottle every three or four days? I guess I missed that part of your original post. That's quite a lot.

I suppose if you add up what I drink from all my open bottles. I drink one bottle every 12 to 14 days. At that rate of consumption I'm able to keep a decent bunker.