Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned User

Talking Re: Muliple Open Bottle..

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    A bottle every three or four days? I guess I missed that part of your original post. That's quite a lot.

Well, lets see…

A 5th is 750ml = approx. 25.361fl oz.

.6 Fluid Ounces (14 grams) Pure Alcohol = 1 U.S. Standard Drink:
    • 12 Fl. Oz. 5% Beer (.05)
    • 5 Fl. Oz. 12% Wine (.12)
    • 1.5 Fl. Oz. 40% (80-Proof) Distilled Spirits (.4)
    Examples:
    • Beer: 12 * .05 = .6 Fl. Oz. Pure Alcohol
    • Wine: 5 * .12 = .6 Fl. Oz. Pure Alcohol
    • Distilled Spirits: 1.5 * .4 = .6 Fl. Oz. Pure Alcohol
    __________________________________________________ _____________

So…

At 80 proof a 5th has approx. 16.907333333333333333333333333333 drinks.
    (25.361*.4 / .6)
    ___
    At 90 proof a 5th has approx. 19.02075 drinks.
    (25.361*.45 / .6)
    ___
    At 100 proof a 5th has approx. 21.134166666666666666666666666667 drinks.
    (25.361*.5 / .6)
    ___
    At 110 proof a 5th has approx. 23.247583333333333333333333333333 drinks.
    (25.361*.55 / .6)

Example: If someone is drinking a 5th of KC100 every 4 days…that’s approx. 5.283541666666666666666666666667 U.S. standard drinks a day.

__________________________________________________ _____________

So…
    Is that “quite a lot”? Hell if I know!

___
    Last edited by Hyperspace; 06-08-2007 at 19:55. Reason: Typo

Taster

Re: Muliple Open Bottle..

Well guys i for some reason am able to drink quite a bit, i may at times abuse it a lil, but i love bourbon. I always have, even in HS thats what i perffered, my gramps was a big bourbon fan.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
    However, a fifth in four days? Wow. I am on about a one bottle a month pace. Currently I have open: Russell's Reserve, Old Grand Dad 114, Booker's, Old Forester 100, and Pappy Van Winkel 20 yo. I don't have anything left in the reserve as I just opened the RR and OGD the other night.

I don't drink cheap stuff, because I think life is too short to drink bad whisky and wine. I'd rather reduce consumption than drink stuff like JB White...

Joel
    This is pretty much where I stand. If i went through a 5th every week my wife would be on my back constantly about how much I drink. I have some history of alcoholism in the family so I watch myself pretty close. I don't drink to drink for the most part, I drink because I enjoy the taste. And almost always if I have a glass of bourbon in my hand, I've got a cigar in the other hand and once again, the wife limits how many of those I have as well, so....get married and all wil be taken care of!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post
    This is pretty much where I stand. If i went through a 5th every week my wife would be on my back constantly about how much I drink. I have some history of alcoholism in the family so I watch myself pretty close. I don't drink to drink for the most part, I drink because I enjoy the taste. And almost always if I have a glass of bourbon in my hand, I've got a cigar in the other hand and once again, the wife limits how many of those I have as well, so....get married and all wil be taken care of!
    I'm with you on that one. For whatever reason, I've just been too busy to take time out for a nice dram. I don't like to drink too close to bedtime so if I haven't had a pour by 8 or 9 p.m., then I typically won't. I stated in another post that I really limit the amount I drink because I have 3 teenagers in the house and setting the example is important. I too like Cigars (had a nice one on Sat), but I limit myself to about 1 or 2 a month. I will also smoke my pipe a couple times a month. My wife has never had to say anything about my drinking or smoking so I guess I'm keeping it under control.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    ...My wife has never had to say anything about my drinking or smoking so I guess I'm keeping it under control.
    Well, it's that, or you just haven't been married long enough yet...

Enthusiast

Re: Multiple Open Bottle..

Between 50 and 75 open bottles at any one time. The only bottles I have that are not opened, are the backups.

If you aren't drinking it, what good is it?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post

Sorry bud but i am married and she bitches constantly about my drinkin. But i don't care, she drinks her DDP so i can drink my bourbon..

(diet Dr Pepper)

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Sorry bud but i am married and she bitches constantly about my drinkin. But i don't care, she drinks her DDP so i can drink my bourbon..

(diet Dr Pepper)
    I think your wife may have a point here, though I would suggest getting a unbiased opinion from an outside source
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Well, it's that, or you just haven't been married long enough yet...
    Well, I'm glad to say, I'll be celebrating my 21st wedding anniversary next week...so, guess I'm in control.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Wow, that's great Greg. Congrats!