Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Early Times

Novice

Early Times

I'm new to this forum but had a quick question. I found an old bottle of Early Times. It dates back to the late 1980s, though I'm not sure exactly what year. The bottle is still sealed so I assume the contents are still good. First question, is Early Times a good product or was it a good product at the time? I've always assumed it is a pretty low priced drink and have been weary to try it. Second, is this bottle worth more than the contents inside?

Re: Early Times

Quote Originally Posted by atkinsa View Post
    I'm new to this forum but had a quick question. I found an old bottle of Early Times. It dates back to the late 1980s, though I'm not sure exactly what year. The bottle is still sealed so I assume the contents are still good. First question, is Early Times a good product or was it a good product at the time? I've always assumed it is a pretty low priced drink and have been weary to try it. Second, is this bottle worth more than the contents inside?
    Not sure when Brown-Forman stopped distributing Early Times bourbon in the U.S., but I think it was before the late-'80s. Does the bottle state 'Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey', or simply 'Kentucky Whisky'?
    In either case, it's not 'collectible', except as a novelty if it happens to be the bourbon variety (which is only today distributed overseas). A 750ml bottle will set you back $11-$12, after tax, around here. It's priced about right.
    Tim

Novice

I think it says Kentucky Whiskey. Looks like it is destined to be opened by myself. Is it something you would recommend drinking straight, or should it be mixed?

Quote Originally Posted by atkinsa View Post
    I think it says Kentucky Whiskey. Looks like it is destined to be opened by myself. Is it something you would recommend drinking straight, or should it be mixed?
    I don't know anyone who drinks it neat, except to see what it tastes like that way. It's a mixer.
    By the way, in case you wonder about the difference between it and bourbon, the Kentucky Whisky is a combination of 80% bourbon and 20% whiskey aged in used barrels. Bourbon MUST be aged in new barrels.
    Now, don't ask me WHY they do that.
    Tim

Novice

Yeah, I was familiar with the difference. Thanks for the information though. I think Early Times and 7-Up will be it's final destination. It was my grandfather's drink of choice. As this was his bottle, though I just found it this past year, I think that would be proper.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The change from bourbon to Kentucky Whiskey happened in 1985 or thereabouts.