Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Found a huge stash of grandfathers bourban

Who else get's the opportunity to start off their bourbon adventure with a ready made bunker of good old dusties. If it were me, I would be doing a jig and trying to figure out which one to open first.

I like ILLFarmboy's comment. Don't sell them. Drink them and every time you do, enjoy a memory of your Grandfather.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

A stash of dusty bourbon in a secret room? That's pretty cool. I'm sure a lot of us would like to see a picture of that, if you have one
    Chris/Oregon

Im going back this wk end to get the rest. I will take a pic for ya! I have a pic of the 40 or so bottles I have all ready just couldnt figure out how to add it as an attachment here.. Email me directly if you wanna peak.

Cheers!

Novice

I just found this place and this is my first post.

DON"T SELL IT!!!!

You have an opportunity all middle aged sons would die for.

Fisrt let me explain, I lost my dad in 1998. In about 2001 my mom gave me his sterling silver jigger. I don't use it often, usually on a crisp autumn night, on the back patio, usually with JD. Mind you JD is not my favorite whiskey, far from it. My dad quit drinking in the early 80's, he had a problem. But when I am out there on my patio with that jigger of JD, I remember him in his prime, not eaten up with cancer. Memories good and bad, that bring a smile to my face.

Now, you have 200 bottles that may not be your favorite but represent your family history. Consider a day when you have a son or daughter who you can share that with. Every time you open one of those bottles, you can remember your granddad. I can tell you I would give big, big bucks today to be in your position. If you are careful with this stash and add to it as you get older, you will create a legacy of your family going back to the 50's. You can add the spirits of your choice to this stash that your grandchildren, and maybe even your great grandchildren can enjoy. Think of the stories passed down. Damn, I am envious.

Please consider, when you are 50, I guarantee your will regret the sale of this stash. that might represent $4k - $6K to you today. Keep it, pop a seal on special occasions, think about your granddad, your dad, yourself.

If you live to 80, wouldn't it be cool to sit down with your grandson and enjoy a drink of your grandfathers whiskey the evening before he gets married? You have that opportunity don't let it get away.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HD FBOY View Post
    I just found this place and this is my first post.

DON"T SELL IT!!!!

You have an opportunity all middle aged sons would die for.

Fisrt let me explain, I lost my dad in 1998. In about 2001 my mom gave me his sterling silver jigger. I don't use it often, usually on a crisp autumn night, on the back patio, usually with JD. Mind you JD is not my favorite whiskey, far from it. My dad quit drinking in the early 80's, he had a problem. But when I am out there on my patio with that jigger of JD, I remember him in his prime, not eaten up with cancer. Memories good and bad, that bring a smile to my face.

Now, you have 200 bottles that may not be your favorite but represent your family history. Consider a day when you have a son or daughter who you can share that with. Every time you open one of those bottles, you can remember your granddad. I can tell you I would give big, big bucks today to be in your position. If you are careful with this stash and add to it as you get older, you will create a legacy of your family going back to the 50's. You can add the spirits of your choice to this stash that your grandchildren, and maybe even your great grandchildren can enjoy. Think of the stories passed down. Damn, I am envious.

Please consider, when you are 50, I guarantee your will regret the sale of this stash. that might represent $4k - $6K to you today. Keep it, pop a seal on special occasions, think about your granddad, your dad, yourself.

If you live to 80, wouldn't it be cool to sit down with your grandson and enjoy a drink of your grandfathers whiskey the evening before he gets married? You have that opportunity don't let it get away.

Great advise! Take it.

Connoisseur

HD FOY

I hope you post more often.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Guru

Yes, beautifully written HD FBOY.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

He's got a Harley Davidson Fat Boy! That's impressive too!

Dawn

Disciple

It has already been said very well already. You are very lucky. Don't waste this chance. Keep it and drink it.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur

Re: Found a huge stash of grandfathers bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by 2fsplit View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what they might be worth or if they are still good to consume. ANY help would be much appreciated!!!

Kindest Regards,
    -Rick in Boston
    Rick,

You have given reality to the dreams of many. I don't know anyone who has been left a legacy of good whiskey such as what you describe. I would set aside some for myslef to last my liver's lifetime. I would set aside a few of each as an unopened legacy of my own to leave(along with written words of the origin and history.) Next, I would share with the family and finally I would share with friends. Some of the whiskey, given as gifts to good friends for special ocassions would start a new legacy for a new family. What greater satisfaction can you get from the secret thoughtfulness of your grandfather. I propose a toast to your Grandfather and to his legacy which is now yours...
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.