Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Disciple

Re: Whats duty free mean?

amen to that. any of the state stores outside of a major city (in my case greater Columbus) is almost a complete wasteland. they think that its a privilage to sell you Jacks old no 7 as top shelf stuff. I get almost all the high end stuff i have while visiting my parents in MA, cause there is liquors stores everywhere with much larger selections (and generally cheaper prices due to competition). there were 4 liquor stores in the neghborhood growing up in MA (including one semi specialty store my DAD dug) as opposed to only one in the ENTIRE county i live in now in Ohio. bleah

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I grew up in Mansfield, Ohio, and can remember going to the State Store down on the square with my mom or dad. One each of all of the products available for sale were displayed inside a glass case on the wall. Below the case was a narrow counter littered with little note pads and pencils. You wrote down what you wanted and presented your list to the civil servant behind the counter, who went back into the warehouse to fetch your order.

For you non-Buckeyes, Ohio law considers anything over 40 proof to be spirits, which must be sold in a State Store. The stores have been privatized and are now self-service, but the 40 proof dividing line remains. Anything below 40 proof (e.g., beer, wine and some liqueurs) may be sold in grocery stores and other outlets.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Disciple

from what my in laws say, in marion county you would look at a list to see what you want and then have to pull up to a drive through to recieve your order, much like an alcoholic mcdonalds

Novice

I used to live in Meigs County, Ohio, and the nearest state stores were in Athens and Pomeroy--each a 30-minute drive. Now I have 2 pretty decent liquor stores within walking distance of my house, and if I ever feel up to a 30-minute drive for old times' sake, I can go to the Party Source store.

I'm SOOOOOO glad I moved back to KY!

Suzie

There is a hole in Misery's fence.
    They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Another Happy Camper in the Bluegrass State!!!! When you go to the Party Source prepare to be Overwhelmed row after row of every spirit imaginable piled to the ceiling. Life is Good. Thanks for the offer to get in on the Distillers Masterpiece Suzie!

Bobby Cox

Novice

No problem, Bobby!

I was born and raised in Louisville, but have moved around all over OH and IN with my late husband's job. Now I'm living in Florence, and I intend to stay here. Another bonus--I'm only 5 minutes from the racetrack! (Note--they don't have any good bourbon there, trust me. Take a flask.)

Yep, Party Source is awesome; I got my bottle of Pappy 20-year there. I'm only 90 minutes from both Louisville and Lexington; plenty of choices there, too.

Suzie

--Paul Gallico

Hey Suzie ,
    I'm almost ashamed I guess I should be proud about the amount of money I've spent there. Any time I need something that costs over 500 dollars my wife very quickly points to "The Collection"! There's the money right there she'll say. I don't know who she is to talk there's 2 bottles of Blanton's that she bought. I think she bought the Baker's and the Evan Williams too.

Bobby Cox

Guru

Sounds like a good wife! Mine gets pissed even when I buy a bottle of Old Forester. "What, you bought ANOTHER bottle of bourbon?"

Tim

Novice

Ah, the advantage of being single.......*LOL*

Suzie

--Paul Gallico

She has her moments I guess we all do but on the whole most things fall on the plus side rather than minus.

Bobby Cox