Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Just at the liquor store...

Quote Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post
    That brings up an interesting question Snakster. Is it possible your enjoyment of Baker's was "tainted" by your previous pour of JR? Maybe because they were too different or even maybe too similiar while at the same time being different? Am I making even the slightest bit of sense?

I've just noted that I can have a pour of one Bourbon, move to another pour I know I like and not be able to get into it, and I've always put that up to the previous drink.

Just a thought.
    I see what you're saying, and there may be a little to that. BUT I had had a pour of Baker's earlier in the day (when I opened it) with nothing before or after, and I still was underwhelmed. The nose had a strong rubbing alcohol quality that just wouldn't die. Only after I threw a cube into it that it became a little more tame.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    I can't count the number of times I have tried a bourbon and it was the most wonderful beverage I had ever consumed, only to try it at another time and while it was fine, it was merely good. Then I try another only to find that bourbon is the best ever.

I've also noticed that sometimes a pour will seem to change quite a bit as I'm drinking it, as if different layers of flavor make themselves known. Saz 18 seemed to be one of the most changeable for me - never ever bad, just different from sip to sip.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    ...and I saw 9 bottles of PVW20!!!! Wow, I thought this stuff was get scarse, but not at this liquor store.
    I personally see PWV20 in many places. Each store usually won't have more than about 2-5 bottles, but it is pretty easy to find.

Just like everything else, it is all about supply and demand. While I LOVE PWV20, it is an expensive bourbon. This price will thus keep the demand down. Most of us probably have one bottle, but there probably are not many who can afford to bunker this one particular bourbon. (although I would like too! )

I'm sure that if Julian has trouble distributing this year's bottling, the price will indeed come down a little bit, but I wouldn't bet on it.