Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Woodford Reserve Master's Collection

Later this month, Woodford Reserve will roll-out of the latest whiskey in the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection. Since I know how much everyone here at Straightbourbon.com enjoyed the first Woodford Reserve Master's Collection whiskey, Four Grain, I wanted to let you know right away.

They aren't telling what it is but provided a pretty big clue. The roll-out is being done at two locations, the Woodford Reserve Distillery in Kentucky and an undisclosed location in Sonoma County, California, where Brown-Forman owns several vineyards. Taking a big leap, I'm guessing a Chardonnay-finished bourbon.

I'll let you know.

Guru

Re: Woodford Reserve Master's Collection

Why screw up an already mediocre bourbon with Chardonnay? Doesn't sound very appealing to me. I didn't like the 4 grain either.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Unlike BT's Chardonnay finishes of 6 and 10 years, I believe this one is in the 6-month range.
    Tim

Guru

I would be more excited about a wine finish if it was a Shiraz, Cabernet or even a port wood finish.

I would also be interested if it was something to do with Shiraz or Cabernet, but not Chardonnay. If it is the red, I better get my hands on a bottle of four grain just for the hell of it. I always wanted one, but since I joined this forum it has changed my mind! I don't think I have heard a positive thing said about it, but if there are going to do different releases in the "Master's Collection", I may have to just get them all.

Bourbon is fun!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

I have not had the opportunity to try any bourbons finished in wine casks, but when it comes to scotch I find they don't appeal to me. The only wine-related casks that complement scotch, and likely any whiskey, for my tastes is sherry. For example, I love the Glenmorangie Sherry Wood 12 yr, but none of their other wine-woods. It just seems to me the wine is fighting with the scotch rather than complementing it.

But again, this is just my tastes, and bourbon may be different in that regard.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Taster

This type of experimentation is inevitable, and maybe something great will be discovered, another type of bourbon. But in the meanwhile there will be floundering and flops, and as bourbon fans, it is simply our duty to call it as we see it and enjoy the ride. Even if a chardonnary-finished bourbon doesn't immedietely appeal to me, it seems more interesting than the latest flavored tequila or vodka.

I wonder... if you HAD to make a chardonnary-finished bourbon, what type of chardonnary would you try, what size cask, for how long would you guess to age it, and what type of bourbon would you use for the base?

Connoisseur

I agree completely. I'm glad there's people out there with the capital to try such experiments, and I'm certainly willing to buy a bottle to try it out - if only I could get my hands on one, e.g., the BT experimentals.

As for Chard? A big, fat, buttery chard like Lewis comes to mind, or maybe Sonoma-Cutrer for something less expensive.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

In response to Hightower,
    I find that batch #2 of the Four Grain is much better than batch #1.
    I'm still not a fan, but its palatable, and in some ways like a scotch blend.
    That's the most positive thing I can say
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I suspect it is Sonoma-Cutrer, a Brown-Forman brand. It fact, the reason I suspect it will be a Chardonnay finish is because I suspect Sonoma-Cutrer is the winery where they're having the west coast roll out.

(Read my original post to see what I know and what's speculation.)