Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Woodford Reserve Master's Collection

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I suspect it is Sonoma-Cutrer, a Brown-Forman brand. It fact, the reason I suspect it will be a Chardonnay finish is because I suspect Sonoma-Cutrer is the winery where they're having the west coast roll out.

(Read my original post to see what I know and what's speculation.)
    Mine is a third-hand report (via someone who heard it directly from Chris Morris, reportedly) that you are, indeed, correct, Chuck, and that the finish in Chardonnay barrel was about six months.
    Tim

Connoisseur

In theory, I approve of experimentation, even though 99 % are failures, sooner or later a breakthrough will be achieved.

However, the tests with different finishes have gone on for many years now, in the Scotch industry, with no discernible improvement. I think this is mainly an attempt to pander to the non-whisky drinking crowd, who finds SMS too rough.

Good luck to B-F but Iīll stick to traditional Bourbon.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa View Post
    tests with different finishes have gone on for many years now, in the Scotch industry, with no discernible improvement. I think this is mainly an attempt to pander to the non-whisky drinking crowd, who finds SMS too rough.
    I think the Scotch industry is also desperately seeking a source of used barrels to augment the ever shrinking sherry and port barrel supplies. Bourbon barrel supply is strong, but ex-fruit-based barrels not as much.

The bourbon industry, though, wants that extra fillip from grape; bourbon doesn't _need_ a wine finish any more than a fish needs a bicycle.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I would be more excited about a wine finish if it was a Shiraz, Cabernet or even a port wood finish.
    Me too! Or even Syrah...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I think the Scotch industry is also desperately seeking a source of used barrels to augment the ever shrinking sherry and port barrel supplies. Bourbon barrel supply is strong, but ex-fruit-based barrels not as much.
    Agreed. This is probably just as important as my theory. Then again, isnīt Sherry also an attempt to attract outsiders, however established? Either way, whilst not being crazy about Sherry maturing, I have certainly bumped into the odd masterpiece over the years. Wish I could say the same about other finishes. Good, yes, but they always fail to excite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    The bourbon industry, though, wants that extra fillip from grape; bourbon doesn't _need_ a wine finish any more than a fish needs a bicycle.

Roger
    Well, as it happens, I agree about this, also.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa View Post
    Then again, isnīt Sherry also an attempt to attract outsiders, however established?
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, since there is a long tradition of Scotch being aged in sherry casks. It wasn't originally about the sherry so much as it was about picking up barrels on the cheap, but now with the solera system, and sherry no longer being shipped by the barrel to Great Britain, the supply is drying up.

The shift to bourbon casks is still a matter of picking up barrels on the cheap - and since bourbon must be aged in new wood, there will be a supply of used barrels as long as bourbon is made.

I wonder how much different a rye cask would be for aging Scotch?
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you go to any whiskey distillery in Canada or Scotland, or any tequila distillery in Mexico, or any rum distillery anywhere except, perhaps, Cuba, you will have a hard time finding any barrels that are not used American whiskey barrels.

In Scotland, a common practice is to age grain whiskey in first refill bourbon barrels, and only thereafter to use them for malt whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I was thinking that the other day, that the Havana Club I was sipping likely did not use ex-bourbon barrels and the taste seemed to be all bright citrus, brown sugar and "wild yeast", I didn't get any smoothing bourbon notes in it.

Just to test this further, I have some before me now. Again, I get citrus (lemon, orange zest), light brown sugar, and a wood barrel effect but nothing rich or bourbon-like. This is the Anejo Reserva, nice product. I can't really place the wood origin.

As a foil, I've got some 12 year old Flor de Cana next to it. The Flor de Cana (from Nicaragua) is very good, a little more neutral than the Havana Club but deeper in a way too, seemingly showing some bourbon barrel influence or possibly ex-Canadian whisky barrel effects.

I think I like the Nicaraguan rum better, but Havana Club is good too and quite unique in taste. Due to its rich up-front flavour the HC might mix better than the Flor de Cana ("flower of the cane") but the latter might be more suitable for neat sipping (at least at 12 years barrel age).

Many rums taste kind of generic but this is not so with Havana Club. It would make a great rum and cola, I've got to try this.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-21-2007 at 14:34.

It's official, I guess:
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....707030308/1003

Essentially, we were right (four months, not six -- mea culpa). Chuck, who is quoted, was, of course, spot on!

900 cases, $90 a bottle. I think I'll pass.

Now, "Parker's Heritage Collection" might be another matter. How come we haven't heard anything about THAT one?!

Interestingly, this story http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...tml?from_rss=1 says the wine-finished whiskey still is bourbon, because it was bourbon before the 'finish' was applied.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 07-03-2007 at 19:46.
    Tim