Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Limoncello

Virtuoso

Limoncello

Tonight I gave limoncello, as mentioned in this other thread, a try. Wow, what a perfect hot-weather drink! I tried it neat at freezer temperature (in a freezer-temperature shooter glass), and also mixed with sparkling water (2:1 water:limoncello). It's hard for me to decide which way I liked it better - and the cocktail wheels are starting to turn inside my head as well.

The sparkling water version was like lemonade with a kick - almost too easy to drink.

I noticed, besides the Caravella I have, Luxardo also makes a limoncello - it will be interesting to compare the two.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

Re: Limoncello

Luxardo is a good limoncello, a bit sweet and not as tart as some, but quite good, as most of their products are.

If you enjoy the drink, I recommend making your own. It's not hard, and very rewarding. Not to mention inexpensive (relatively speaking).

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Most liqueurs can be made at home but I've noticed that it seems to be a tradition among Italians to make limoncello at home for personal enjoyment and as gifts.

Taster

I recently tried the Caravella as well, and I liked it on the rocks.

The flavor did seem a bit candy-like though when I paid close attention. Although they use real lemons, I kept imagining a box of Lemonheads candy dissolved in a bottle of vodka.
    Attached Images Attached Images