Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Novice

Seeking high-end Bourbon featured on CNN

As I was sitting in a US airport on March 18, 2002, CNN Airport News featured a story on a special reserve bourbon. Because of the interruptions for flight announcements, and the glare from the windows behind the TVs, I was unable to determine who the manufacturer was and what the bourbon was.

From what I could hear, I learned that this is the oldest continuous bourbon distiller in the US; the annual bottling was very small; either three- or six-thousand bottles per year. Aging was 15 years I think (although after perusing your site, I may be mistaken and aging could be longer). The story started out that this distillery was the oldest bourbon distillery in Kentucky/US. They use the country's (perhaps the world's?) oldest (or maybe it was largest?) limestone building for storing the caskets during the aging process.

The Jefferson's Reserve graphic at straightbourbon.com today reminded me of tv image of the bottle I saw on CNN (airport). Of course I realize that many bottles look alike, so I may be mistaken.

I hope these scant clues can help; I appreciate any insight you experts can assist me with!

Thanks!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Seeking high-end Bourbon featured on CNN

First, I am happy to point out that bourbon is not aged in caskets. I'll assume that was CNN's mistake.

As for the rest of the report, the one thing that rang a bell was the old limestone buildings. That has to be Labrot and Graham. The product could have been Labrot and Graham's Woodford Reserve. That doesn't equate to some of the other facts, but nothing else does either, and the Jefferson's Reserve bottle does resemble the Woodford Reserve bottle.

Although perhaps not as special or unique as your half-heard CNN report suggests, Woodford Reserve is a very good bourbon and is recommended highly by most participants in this forum.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Disciple

Re: Seeking high-end Bourbon featured on CNN

More evidence that its Woodford Reserve......... I was reading Dave Brooms "Handbook of Whisky" and the distillery manager Mentioned twice in the blurlb about Labrot & Graham that their distillery is the oldest operational distillery in the U.S.

as they say in Boston - You have a WINNAH!!