Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Squeezin' a barrel...

Anyone know where I can find a used GTS barrel?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I should have mentioned that while no one else is squeezing the barrels like JD is, all of the distilleries at least rinse the barrels to capture a little more of the product. Still, as Doug is documenting, there's still a lot left.

I also should have mentioned that what they do with the low proof whiskey they recover from the barrels is use it for the water they dilute with to take the whiskey down to bottling proof.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    All makes sense, Doug, but also in light of the experience, next time you could start with half the water.

Gary
    Gary,

My recollection of the instructions was fuzzy as I had mentioned in a previous post, Drew might have said 4 quarts of water, not 4 gallons...

Anyway, next time, should there be one...I will use less water...

BTW, the barrel has now been placed in the upper mezzanine in the workshop/steel building/barn. I will rotate it periodically, not near as much as when it was on the ground and more accessible...I'll report back next time it gets opened and sampled...'till then, Cheers!

dog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dougdog View Post
    Gary,

My recollection of the instructions was fuzzy as I had mentioned in a previous post, Drew might have said 4 quarts of water, not 4 gallons...

Anyway, next time, should there be one...I will use less water...

BTW, the barrel has now been placed in the upper mezzanine in the workshop/steel building/barn. I will rotate it periodically, not near as much as when it was on the ground and more accessible...I'll report back next time it gets opened and sampled...'till then, Cheers!

dog
    So, is it still up in the Mezzanine?

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Novice

I've heard this process called ponying. Since I told him about it several years ago, my father-in-law has probably done 10 barrels. He found that about 3 gallons of water worked best when left in for several weeks in the sun, rolled daily in the back yard. He used Buffalo Trace barrels since they sold their used barrels for the cheapest. The result was a bit watery but pleasant drinking.