Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Knob Creek Vs. Lot B

Sat down for a couple sips of Bourbon last night. First, I had a 2 oz pour of the Lot B then decided to switch things up with some KC. As it turned out, KC stood really well with the Lot B. Actually, I liked the KC better than the Lot B. Trust me, I was surprised too.

The KC was sweeter but a little rough around the edges while the Lot B had a more subtle flavor and more smooth.

Has anyone tried these two together in the same sitting before? I wasn't planning any taste-testing to see which was better, it just turned out that way.

Still, I can't believe that I enjoyed the KC better than the Lot B. Who knows, tonight I might like the Lot B better.

Regards,

Mark

Connoisseur

Re: Knob Creek Vs. Lot B

I've yet to try my Lot B, but I'll have to compare it with KC when I do. I wouldn't have figured they'd go well together, I always got the feeling based on descriptions that they were two VERY different bourbons.

Connoisseur

They really are two different bourbons. Not even close to one another in flavor. Still, I was shocked to realize that I prefer KC over Lot B.

In my opinion, there is a ton more flavor in the KC than the Lot B. At the same time, I still like the Lot B and definitely preferred its finish over the KC. Next time I'm out shopping for bourbon I think I'll bypass the Lot B and pick up another bottle of KC and save myself $10 in the process.

Connoisseur

I wouldn't be all that surprised Nick, it's all a matter of taste. I can relate it to the cigar world where some people will absolutely rave about a given cigar, only for me to find that it does nothing for me. Same deal. Especially with Bourbon in this instance, as I understand it, the Pappy's are a wheat recipe whilst the KC is a rye recipe bourbon. To very different animals, and if you don't care for wheated bourbon as much as Rye, you are probably going to prefer the KC.

Now, I may be talking out of the completely wrong orifice here as you stated in your first post that you really liked the PVW20, but then again maybe I'm on to something, who knows...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post
    I wouldn't be all that surprised Nick, it's all a matter of taste. I can relate it to the cigar world where some people will absolutely rave about a given cigar, only for me to find that it does nothing for me. Same deal. Especially with Bourbon in this instance, as I understand it, the Pappy's are a wheat recipe whilst the KC is a rye recipe bourbon. To very different animals, and if you don't care for wheated bourbon as much as Rye, you are probably going to prefer the KC.

Now, I may be talking out of the completely wrong orifice here as you stated in your first post that you really liked the PVW20, but then again maybe I'm on to something, who knows...
    I definitely prefer the PVW20, no doubt. And, I figured I'd really love the Lot B, especially with all the praise for it here and the mere fact that I like a wheated bourbon. But, I wasn't that impressed with it and really like the KC over it.

But, the PVW20 is a completely different animal than the Lot B and has a lot more flavor. There is no doubt that I prefer the PVW20 over KC.

I never even realized that I like rye bourbon. In fact, I always thought wheated bourbon was sweeter, but KC was sweeter than the Lot B.

Go figure. Like you said, it's all a matter of taste.

Advanced Taster

I've had a bottle of both, and I was very underwhelmed by the Lot B. Not bad, just nothing to make me sit up and go "Ah!". By contrast, I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the Knob Creek. I also enjoyed the higher proof of KC (100 vs 90.4)
    Chris/Oregon

Guru

I am torn.. I realize the diffrence in the cost of these pours and the perception that results in the known factor. Having said that we are faced with the reality that KC is 9 years old, impressive proof and in most markets at sub $20, great but to say the least. Lot B...Is way above the curve. IMHO

Then again....I could be wrong.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

Sub $20? Seriously? $20 is the BEST price I can find around here. Usually it's closer to $30. Still at least $10 cheaper than Lot B...sure hope I enjoy it more than it seems I might.

Guru

So sorry to hear to find thst you need to pay that. We don't hear the bargain out here in SoCal, but KC has been a value for such a looong time.

I offer no apologies, we don't see a value often, and are willing to pay for what we find.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

KC here is usually around $29.99 and that's probably what I paid. The Lot B was $42.99. Since I like the KC better, I will not pay an extra $10+ for the Lot B.

By the way, regarding taste-testing, I don't believe the bourbons you are taste-testing have to be the same type of bourbon, i.e., all wheated or all rye, etc.

Again, my taste-testing was impromptu but given the fact that the KC and Lot B are rye and wheated bourbons respectively, does not mean that you can't have a taste test between the two to find which one you like better.

That is just my opinion.