Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Knob Creek Vs. Lot B

Didn't mean for my comment to come across in that way Nick. Certainly you can taste Rye and Wheated bourbons together. In fact, it certainly offers an interesting opposing taste. I just meant that for my taste, if I prefer a Rye based bourbon to start with, any wheated bourbon is probably going to be at a disadvantage if I'm trying it with a Rye bourbon. If any of that makes sense...

SBOmarc, I don't know if my post came across wrong, or if I'm reading something into yours...no apologies necessary. A good value is certainly nothing to apologize for. I just was questioning your "in most markets" comment.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post
    Didn't mean for my comment to come across in that way Nick.
    I definitely had no problem with your comment at all. Please don't think I was upset or something like that. I was just expressing my opinion on that.

Perhaps, my tastes are turning more toward the rye bourbons which is a good thing since I recently purchased the WT Tribute.

Taster

With me it isn't an either or situation. There will always be space for both Bourbons for me. They are 2 different styles...so depending on my mood either could satisfy me. I did seem to notice that the Lot B seems to be much better now then when the bottle was originally opened. I guess we are lucky to be able to get KC on sale routinely at $20 in CA. Now if we could get 4 Roses...
    Bob O.

Connoisseur

I am not really that surprised by your preferences, to be honest.

Admittedly, I´ve only had one bottle of Lot B, but judging by that one, this is not the best choice in the Van Winkle line.

My last bottle of KC was a bit more lightweight then I´ve grown accustomed to, but I still regard it as a classy whiskey. Maybe its high visibility in the US has contributed to it being regarded as almost low-brow these days?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Connoisseur

Wow, really? Low brow? Hmmmm...never really saw it that way...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I have observed here over the years, just following the "What are you drinking tonight?" thread that Lot B seems to be extremely popular among participants on this site. KC, on the other hand, gets good comments but doesn't show up as often, either in the ongoing "drinking" thread or the companion "buying" thread. I don't have a theory for why that is, but even before this discussion came up I noticed just how frequently Lot B comes up. Considering that Lot B (which isn't even the product's name but is what everyone here calls it) is a tiny brand while KC is, relatively, huge, I find that interesting.

Not sure if that even contributes to this discussion and I haven't had either one recently enough to comment on which I like better, though I too think it would be a hard call just because they're so different. I think Nick made his original post mostly because his experience was different from his expectations, which is interesting, but also very specific to that one experience.

If somebody wants to ask a "which one do you like better" question and people want to answer it, that's okay. All preferences are subjective and somehow the head-to-head seems even more subjective. I guess I'm chiming in here because I wouldn't want a newbie to take any of this as conclusive as to which is better.

I wonder if any of the huge Lot B fans here could do a "which to you like better?" comparison between a SW Lot B and a Bernheim Lot B?
    Last edited by cowdery; 06-20-2007 at 14:56.

Guru

I agree that these two are very different but both are very, very good pours.... I like them both.

I think the frequency of mentions for Lot B is, among other things, a tribute to the Van Winkles' ability to select great whiskey.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Hmmm...I actually have a different theory on the frequency of mention on the Lot B vs the KC. KC is readily available (if not) everywhere (then darn close), whereas Lot B is much more difficult to find. Not necessarily DIFFICULT to find, but certainly closer to "rare" than KC.

Just an off the cuff theory...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post
    Hmmm...I actually have a different theory on the frequency of mention on the Lot B vs the KC. KC is readily available (if not) everywhere (then darn close), whereas Lot B is much more difficult to find. Not necessarily DIFFICULT to find, but certainly closer to "rare" than KC.

Just an off the cuff theory...
    I agree with this theory. It seems that the more rare something is, the more sought after and better it is. The fact is, older or more rare, does not mean better. And, as my taste buds are maturing to bourbon I am quickly realizing this.

The funny part is, my expectations were not very high for KC but were for Lot B, so my tastes are contradictary to my levels of expectation. This, of course, happens a lot. We've all been through it where, as a kid, you visited some bugher joint or whatever and loved the burghers and fries. Then, 20 years later after raving about it to you wife and kids, you stop by only to find that the burgers and fries are just ordinary.

Bottom line, when I'm in my cabinet looking for bourbon to drink, I'll grab X bourbon and KC. That's how much I like KC, expecations or not.

Virtuoso

I love them both, but I'd be hard-pressed to say I prefer one over the other, except that KC is easier on the pocketbook. However, one being a wheater and the other rye-based, there are times when I'd pick Lot B first, and other times when I'd go with KC.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!