Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Knob Creek Vs. Lot B

If I do a quick poll of my bunker.....how much do I have of each? KC = 0. Lot B's = multiple cases. Of course, most of that is my SB I did several years ago. Its a unique pour.....but a SW 12yo none the less.

KC is a decent pour.....it was one of my early faves when I got into bourbon many years ago. But its $28 here and I got my SB of Lot B for $33.

Chuck.....I've done the comparison you're talking about. Blind with friends. The older version wins out. But the newer version is still good.

If offered either w/o knowing old or new, etc....I'd opt for the Lot B.

Randy

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    If I do a quick poll of my bunker.....how much do I have of each? KC = 0. Lot B's = multiple cases. Of course, most of that is my SB I did several years ago. Its a unique pour.....but a SW 12yo none the less.

KC is a decent pour.....it was one of my early faves when I got into bourbon many years ago. But its $28 here and I got my SB of Lot B for $33.

Chuck.....I've done the comparison you're talking about. Blind with friends. The older version wins out. But the newer version is still good.

If offered either w/o knowing old or new, etc....I'd opt for the Lot B.

Randy
    I was under the impression that Lot B was not SW anymore. Am I incorrect?

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    I was under the impression that Lot B was not SW anymore. Am I incorrect?
    No, you're correct. Randy did his Single Barrel bottling prior to the switch.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    No, you're correct. Randy did his Single Barrel bottling prior to the switch.
    Okay, that clears that up. By the way, is the PVW20 and 23 SW or not?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Everything Pappy (with that one exception years ago) is SW, old stock or new. Some of the 15 may not be 100% SW, however. The 20/23 still is 100% SW.

Old stock: It's hard to assess what's in stores at any given time, but I would guess that most store stock of Lot B is still SW, though what is coming through the pipeline now is Bernheim

There should still be a fair amount of Old Rip out there that is SW, and if you find an Old Rip 15, that's SW, but any Old Rip 10 that you see probably is not SW unless it's a bona fide dusty.

Note: One good reason to buy the new Lot B is that it probably is the best expression of a Bernheim wheater on the market. It is well documented that the Beams made a lot of changes to Bernheim when HH took over, but the Master Distiller there until the sale was Ed Foote, who was the last Master Distiller at SW, i.e., no slouch at making wheated bourbon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Everything Pappy (with that one exception years ago) is SW, old stock or new. Some of the 15 may not be 100% SW, however. The 20/23 still is 100% SW.

Old stock: It's hard to assess what's in stores at any given time, but I would guess that most store stock of Lot B is still SW, though what is coming through the pipeline now is Bernheim

There should still be a fair amount of Old Rip out there that is SW, and if you find an Old Rip 15, that's SW, but any Old Rip 10 that you see probably is not SW unless it's a bona fide dusty.

Note: One good reason to buy the new Lot B is that it probably is the best expression of a Bernheim wheater on the market. It is well documented that the Beams made a lot of changes to Bernheim when HH took over, but the Master Distiller there until the sale was Ed Foote, who was the last Master Distiller at SW, i.e., no slouch at making wheated bourbon.
    Thanks for the info, Chuck. Is it getting harder to find ORVW15? I put in a request for it, but it sounded as if the distributer felt it would be hard to track down.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Old Rip 15 no longer exists, except what might be out there in the pipeline somewhere. When it became necessary to start using Bernheim whiskey, as the SW supplies dwindled (and got older), Julian converted the Rip 15 into Pappy 15, keeping it SW, and switched the Old Rip 10 over to Bernheim.

Guru

Of the two I prefer the Knob Creek but that reflects my individual tastes and does not suggest it is 'better' than Lot B, rather it shows I like rye in the mashbill.

For years, last decade or so, We got Old Rip products in New Orleans. I always liked them and still keep some on hand. They costs more but the quality was worth it. Frankly I never made the Stitzel-Weller connection until joining this board, just thought they were good stuff. Will miss the 15 yr though.

Regards,
    Squire

Connoisseur

This thread fascinated me. The time was finally right for me to take the test. For this bourbon rookie, Lot B won by a landslide. But I'm weird in that I prefer Lot B to PVW 15 (I've only had one bottle of 15 however) and I prefer JBB to KC. But that's why I call myself a bourbon rookie!

Enthusiast

Lot B, while good, always leaves me a bit underwhelmed, esp. when compared to PVW 15 (or 10/107 for that matter). But I think I still prefer it overall to KC, I have a thing for wheaters.

-Kevin