Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Over the weekend I purchased (at Julio's Liquors)...

...a bottle of Weller Centenial. On the bottle it obviously says 10 years, but bellow is a sticker from the the liquor store I purchase the states the followin:

Julio's Liquors
    Hand Selected
    Aged 13 years

I did not see this until after I left the liquor store. Anyway, I will contact them today to see if they can fill me in. But, does anyone know what this is about? Was this a barrel that was purchased by Julio's - which is a large liquor store - just for their own bottling?

There is someone that is familiar with Julio's, maybe he knows.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Mark

Connoisseur

Re: Over the weekend I purchased (at Julio's Liquors)...

Quite possible. From their website:

In fact, several of us make a pilgrimage in early fall to Kentucky to buy specially selected barrels of bourbon only available at Julio's.

BTW, might help if you fill in your location.

Advanced Taster

Beverages & More out here in southern California has done this as well with Weller Centennial...

Guru

Does the bottle indicate Louisville or Frankfort?
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Does the bottle indicate Louisville or Frankfort?
    The bottle indicate Frankfort, I believe. I'll have to check when I get home.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Connoisseur

Here's an email I received from Julio's Liquors (only took them 5 minutes to respond):

"Hi,
    Yes, that is our select barrel from Buffalo Trace aged longer. Also, we will be selecting a new and different barrel this Fall.

Best Regards,
    Sondra"

Enthusiast

Julios has been picking barrels for the last 3 years I think. They usually get BT, ER (at around 13yrs), Centennial (at aroud 13 yrs), and often Pappy-15. They are generally pretty good. Last years Centennial was 14yo and obviously S/W. It was marvelous. This years is BT wheat, and very nice.

A very good store for whiskey.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast

Yes, Julio's is a good place for spirits in general. They usually have a great selection although the prices are generally about 10 to 15 percent higher than what I can purchase locally or a short distance to the New Hampshire stores. I limit my buying there to only the items I can't buy elsewhere.

They are quite informed about what's available however and will spend the time to answer questions or make recommendations. Always a plus.

The last time I was there, about three months ago, they had two different versions of Buffalo Trace. The standard bottle priced at $22.99 and the Julio's selected bottling priced slightly higher. I think it was $2.00 more. I figured it was just a marketing ploy and bought the cheaper version. Not dissapointed but I don't think that Buffalo Trace is worth $25.00 when I can buy Eagle Rare for $19.99.

Chris

Enthusiast

I agree, the store is huge and they have a great selection. But they are priced slightly higher than what you can find if you look around. The gems are their single barrel picks.

Several times a year they have a 15% off sale. Keep an eye out for that and you can do well.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)