Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Does anyone here like sparkling wine?

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago after I went to a sparkling wine taste at Binny's. I for one do enjoy it a great deal. My girlfriend and I drink it quite often. It is probably 2nd or 3rd behind Bourbon, and whisk(e)y in general and beer for me. I probably do drink sparkling wine more then beer. Its something that my girlfriend and I can share. She won't drink bourbon, or any other whiskey, and I don't drink red wine(makes me sick for some reason, even a little gives me a headache), but it is something we both enjoy.
    We drink all kinds, but I think Italian Sparklers are our favorite. Also they offer a great value. Prosecco, and d'Asti(Brachetto, Moscato, Blend) are excellent. There are many brands that have excellent offerings of these varietals. Domestic sparklers also offer some good value especially Domaine Ste Michelle from Washington state. Of course Champagne, although not as often because of price. But Piper Heidsieck, Moet & Chandon, and Nicolas Feuillatte have good offerings under $30-$35. St Hilaire from France is also very good and under $10, though not from Champagne. Spanish Cavas are also good.
    Just wanted to see what people thought.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Administrator in exile

Re: Does anyone here like sparkling wine?

My wife and I enjoy sparklers quite a bit. We favor them on the dry side, but an occasional asti or prosecco is nice. Some of our favorite wineries to visit are sparkling producers. Chandon, Mumm, Gloria Ferrer and Domaine Carneros are all good California properties making outstanding sparkling wines. You mention Chateau St. Michelle in Washington. That is our value sparkler, at only $11 in Lexington.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I just had a superb Champagne-style wine from New Zealand, it cost half what an ordinary French Champagne costs. I can't recall the name at the moment. This is the first non-French Champagne I found that has the typical French nose and taste, I would be very surprised if even experts could tell it apart in a blind tasting. I hasten to say I like many kinds of non-French sparkler (Jeff mentioned many). They don't have to taste French to appeal to me. But it was extraordinary how French in style this one was. I am trying to find more here and will mention the name when (if) I find it again.

By the way, for the beer fans: a classic English cocktail was 50% Champagne, 50% stout. This is called a Black Velvet. It is a great drink for the summer. Apparently it derives from an English club which, when a Royal figure died (it was the Consort of Queen Victoria, I think his name was Prince Albert), poured stout into the clubmens' Champagne to signify mourning.

It works with any good sparkler and any good stout, but if you try it, try to ensure a good bittersweet balance.

Gary

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Does anyone here like sparkling wine?

Yes, sure. What's not to like?

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Yes, quite a lot. I quite like Cavas, and made a point to hit J when I was in Wine Country recently. I have recently been trying some of the Rose and am looking to sample some Red Sparklers in the future
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Trina and I went and saw Korbel last year in California, located near Santa Rosa in the Russian River Valley. I always thought as Korbel as that really cheap sparkling wine they serve receptions. I was wrong!

First, they sell Champagne. You might say, wait a minute, if it comes from outside the Champagne region of France, it has to be called sparkling wine or something to that notion. Actually, Korbel opened in CA in 1882. They were making Champagne before the Treaty of Madrid in 1891, which included a clause giving legal protection to Champagne Region. Hence, they are grandfathered in (Note - this came from a tour guide. I have had tour guides that really did not know much, but this was seemed very knowledgeable. I also checked around internet a little and story seems legit).

I will admit that some of Korbel's product is destined for that cheap reception, but they also make some great Champagne. We purchased a case of their Le Premier Champagne, about $23 bottle.

Their description: "Korbel's very best Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes are used for this special cuvée. The fruit is gently whole-cluster pressed before fermentation. After fermentation all of the young cuvées for Le Premier Champagne are aged in large oak casks for one year, where they undergo malolactic fermentation. After the secondary, méthode champenoise fermentation, Le Premier Champagne is aged for three years before being released. Stylistically, Korbel Le Premier Champagne is a complex cuvée with toasty nutty aromas followed by a delicate apple and berry flavor."

We just finished the last bottle this past weekend; just in time for another trip to Santa Rosa.

Novice

Love Prosecco and Lambrusco, but you can only find good Lambrusco in Italy.

Enthusiast

Your right about the Lambrusco. I've been trying to find a decent one for years. Growing up that was the usual table wine at dinner. I can't recall what the brand was or if it would even matter 30 years later. If anyone can suggest a decent brand it would be greatly appreciated. The Riuniti just will not do.

Chris

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    My wife and I enjoy sparklers quite a bit. We favor them on the dry side, but an occasional asti or prosecco is nice. Some of our favorite wineries to visit are sparkling producers. Chandon, Mumm, Gloria Ferrer and Domaine Carneros are all good California properties making outstanding sparkling wines. You mention Chateau St. Michelle in Washington. That is our value sparkler, at only $11 in Lexington.
    I forget how lucky I am here in Chicago. Domaine Ste Michelle is only $8.99 at Binny's and regularly on sale at least once a month for $6.99.

If it is Champagne or at least the Champagne method, I do prefer on the dry side, Brut of Extra Dry. Demi-Sec usually seems to syrupy to me. But d'Asti especial pure moscato seem light and sweet. I think that is why I prefer prosecco as well, its light, but has very noticeable flavors that vary from brand to brand. Prefect for these warm early summer nights we have been having here.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    We purchased a case of their Le Premier Champagne, about $23 bottle.
    I like their "Natural".
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"