Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    1,597

    The stack of Jack

    A request from another thread, but I thought these bottles should be here


    Here's a few Gentlemen you may recognize!



    Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

  2. #2
    Novice
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2

    Re: The stack of Jack

    WOW what a great picture. Is this your collection?

  3. #3
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,051

    Re: The stack of Jack

    What is the one second shelf down in the centre, the decanter with the glass stopper?

    Which one is the oldest in terms of production year?

    Does the taste of that oldest differ much from that of any current JD Old No. 7, if so, how? Thanks.

    Gary

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    1,597

    Re: The stack of Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    WOW what a great picture. Is this your collection?
    Yes it is. I just yesterday added a Jack Daniels Master Distiller #1 to it (UK release) that came in a nice leather box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    What is the one second shelf down in the centre, the decanter with the glass stopper?

    Which one is the oldest in terms of production year?

    Does the taste of that oldest differ much from that of any current JD Old No. 7, if so, how? Thanks.

    Gary
    Gary, the bottle you are asking about is just a bohemia decanter with a pewter JD badge on it, that was a gift for my 21st Birthday. It has 86 proof Jack in it. I have one liter bottle of 86 left....isn't much left in the decanter, there is a 1914 Gold medal bottle behind it, which may have it appearing full.
    Oldest in terms of production would be the 1895 replica
    (at the back of the top shelf, between 2 scenes from Lynchburg bottles); it was released in 1992. Most of the collectible bottles are 90 proof, although there are some variations. I am made to believe that all these bottles contain regular Jack at different proofs. Nothing overly special about them (unless higher proof jack is your thing!).
    The highest is the Silver Select Single Barrel, at 100 proof.
    Barrelhouse 1 is 94 proof, along with the leather monogram bottle.
    Bicentennial bottle is 96 proof, as it was 1996 that TN celebrated it's Bicentennial year.
    That Maxwell House decanter isn't a 1971 release, I believe it is maybe from around 2000?

    For me it used to mainly be about collecting Jack bottles and Wild Turkey bottles. Now, it's about getting as many different bourbons I can to try and experiencing them all. I also discovered drinking them is much better than looking at them; although, in that regard, I have a long way to go!
    What changed? I found StraightBourbon.com!!
    God am I thankful for that!!
    So once again.....thanks Jim, for making it all possible. Also a big thanks to everyone who contributes here, I have learnt so much!

    Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

  5. #5
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,051

    Re: The stack of Jack

    Okay, thanks, Scott, a most impressive collection.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: The stack of Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Yes it is. I just yesterday added a Jack Daniels Master Distiller #1 to it (UK release) that came in a nice leather box.Scott
    Just of curiosity Scott. Do you mean the real 90 proof master distiller with Japanese text on the backside that was released in the 90-is or do you mean the current one containing the same “old number 7” whiskey as all souvenir shop bottles.

    Leif


    Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    it's about getting as many different bourbons I can to try and experiencing them all. I also discovered drinking them is much better than looking at them; although, in that regard, I have a long way to go!
    What changed? I found StraightBourbon.com!!
    God am I thankful for that!!
    So once again.....thanks Jim, for making it all possible. Also a big thanks to everyone who contributes here, I have learnt so much!
    Scott

    The same goes for me and you can still look at the empty bottles.
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    1,597

    Re: The stack of Jack

    Leif,
    It's the current release Master Distiller 80 proof bottle, 70cl.
    and you're right, maybe I should drink all of them and fill them with tea

    Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

  8. #8
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: The stack of Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Leif,
    It's the current release Master Distiller 80 proof bottle, 70cl.
    and you're right, maybe I should drink all of them and fill them with tea

    Scott
    Ah, hell, don't punish yourself that way...you couldn't have done anything bad enough to have to drink JD
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  9. #9
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: The stack of Jack

    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Ah, hell, don't punish yourself that way...you couldn't have done anything bad enough to have to drink JD
    Hey Timothy, what’s the wrong with drinking JD? Have you tasted any of the best like silver select or master distiller?

    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  10. #10
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: The stack of Jack

    Nothing wrong with JD, per se, not anything that an age statement and a boost in proof probably couldn't fix anyway. Silver Select, I've had; Master Distiller, I've not. I prefer Dickel.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. signed jack s.b.
    By straightwhiskeyruffneck in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 17:18
  2. "Medallion" Jack?
    By Gillman in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 06:14
  3. Jack Green
    By cowdery in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 11:42
  4. Jack of All Nations
    By bourbonmed in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 04:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top