Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Greetings!

Novice

Greetings!

Hello all,

I've been lurking here a long time, and finally got it together to register.

I've been into bourbon for about the last fifteen years and have managed to accumulate about 100 bottles over the last decade or so. Gotta say that I just love the stuff.

Looking forward to posting and maybe the KYBF this year!

Re: Greetings!

Welcome and, yes, please post. Your gentlemanly appreciation for our favorite libation will be welcomed by all.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 06-29-2007 at 19:56.
    Tim

Guru

Welcome!

May I assume from your screen name that your 100 bottles are arrayed in a state of ever-increasing disorder?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Welcome!

May I assume from your screen name that your 100 bottles are arrayed in a state of ever-increasing disorder?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Could be something's lost in his message.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Welcome!

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Very clever Dave.

Actually, I chose the name because I am currently prevented from drinking by my doctor's order. In this case, it's a measurement of the amount of energy unavailable to do useful work in a system.

The energy being my bourbon collection, and the system of course, my body. All the physicists in the room are just going to have to see the humor in that one, and not take my re-definition too literally.

Your point is well taken however. I've got my bottles in about ten places in the house, and other than those in the kitchen cabinet which I use for cooking, there is no discernible mechanism of organization.

Guru

hmmm..organization of one's bourbon collection. Well, I guess I'm a major dork because I've got my collection documented in an excel spreadsheet with all the relavent data captured;

Name
    Distiller
    Year bottled
    Proof
    DSP
    UPC
    Place purchased
    Date purchase
    Price
    Quantity purchased
    Comments

Anyone else a "bourbon dork"? My next thought was to create an Access db and include pictures and tasting notes. How's that for bourbon dork-dom?

By the way...Welcome to SB!
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    hmmm..organization of one's bourbon collection. Well, I guess I'm a major dork because I've got my collection documented in an excel spreadsheet with all the relavent data captured;

Name
    Distiller
    Year bottled
    Proof
    DSP
    UPC
    Place purchased
    Date purchase
    Price
    Quantity purchased
    Comments

Anyone else a "bourbon dork"? My next thought was to create an Access db and include pictures and tasting notes. How's that for bourbon dork-dom?

By the way...Welcome to SB!
    You win Greg.

I guess I used the term "collection" too hastily. "Set" would be more accurate, as I don't collect anything, and never have in my entire lifespan. So there, I have a set of bourbon bottlings in various states of fill, and the upper bound on that set is currently ~100.

Somehow I feel less in need of therapy now.

Ed

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Okay, I'll go ahead with it:

Name, Age, Proof, Distiller, Bottler, Distilling/barreling date, Bottling date, vintage, how many. I don't keep track of prices (I prefer to pretend that they were all free)

I also have an average age formula and average proof formula, both of which are split between my two residences and a composite as well.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile