Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

New to the forum

Hello everyone! My name is Khari and this is my first post here. I have been lurking for some time and I figured this was a good time to introduce myself. I am pretty new to the world of whiskey. I started drinking Scotch earlier this year and have recently become curious about bourbon. I'll pick one out soon and begin enjoying it. This is a great site. I've already learned so much!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: New to the forum

Welcome; let us know what bourbon you pick out first and maybe where about you are from.

Apprentice

I am from Alpharetta, GA. What do you think about Maker's Mark as a first?

Guru

Welcom, Khari

Maker's Mark is a fine choice for a neophyte. But don't be fooled by the marketing hype. It's an OK bourbon, a decent flavor, if a bit bland. It is a "wheater', that is, it is made with wheat in place of the more traditional rye. If you find you like MM well enough try Weller Antique or Weller 12, they to are wheaters but with more flavor.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Maker's Mark on this forum is under appreciated. I think it makes a good introduction to bourbon. It is what we call a wheater; meaning after corn, wheat is the next highest % of grain. IMHO, Makers is very smooth; it has muted vanilla and caramel notes and it is a very consistent bourbon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Khari View Post
    I am from Alpharetta, GA. What do you think about Maker's Mark as a first?
    I'm relatively new to bourbon as well and I also came from the world of Scotch. Also, I tried Maker's Mark for my first bourbon and hated it. It tasted like shoe leather soaking in rubbing alcohol.

The funny thing is, since I've developed a taste for bourbon, I probably would like the stuff now.

We all have different pallates and like different things. I'd suggest you try something like Knob Creek.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    try Weller Antique
    I definitely agree with you on this. I have been sipping some Old Weller Antique and it's great.

Actually, I suggested he try KC even though it's rye based. It has great flavor and is quite sweet especially for a rye bourbon.

Guru

Welcome aboard, explore and enjoy!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Welcome aboard indeed! I suggest you keep an open mind, and try some different bourbons. I happen to like Makers Mark, but I'm partial to wheaters (Pappy Van Winkle 20 year being my benchmark - albeit expensive). I've been experimenting with bourbon for about two years now, and continue to be amazed at the variety and complexity. Happy hunting and tasting!
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Taster

Welcome, Khari. Nice to see you here.
    Bob O.