Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cask Strength

Apprentice

Cask Strength

Do you guys drink even the whiskies in cask strength neat? I purchased a few (Aberlour A'bunadh, Laphroaig 10 CS), and I'm having a bit of difficulty enjoying them. The Aberlour has great flavor, but it burns the heck out of my throat. I'm inclined to add a little water to it, but then I got curious about what other folks do. Do you guys add water to your cask strength drinks?

Advanced Taster

Re: Cask Strength

It just depends on what mood I'm in. That is what is so nice about cask strength offerings. Drink at your preference...

The Aberlour A'bunadh is one of my favorite sherried scotch whiskey's. I usually drink that one diluted down to around 100 proof.

Advanced Taster

Another Aberlour A'bunadh fan here!
    When I drink this, I always have a few sips straight, then cut with just a splash of water as I rather enjoy the 'change' in aroma the water brings.

~tp

Connoisseur

I haven't had the Aberlour A'bunadh or Laphroaig cask strength, although both are on my "must buy" list. However, I do have a bottle of the Glenlivet Nadurra, which is cask strength, and I love it. Glenlivet in general I don't care about - I neither like it nor dislike it - but the Nadurra is terrific.

For cask strength whisk(e)ys, whether Scotch or Bourbon, I usually drink them neat. Once in awhile I'll add enough water to bring it down to a bit over 100 proof, but that's the exception.

They key for high proof spirits, e.g., George T. Stagg, Bookers or Nadurra, is you have to sip it. The mechanics or consumption have to change or yes, you'll burn your throat.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Connoisseur

I really enjoy the flavor of Aberlour A'bunadh. I tend to drink it neat but will on occasion use some ice with it. I want to try the other Aberlour offerings now.
    Like a lot of folks I will start neat and work from there. I think however you enjoy it is what is important, but it is also interesting to try it with ice, or water, or warmed or cooled to see what that does to the nose, taste and finish.

Todd

Enthusiast

Every whiskey you drink the way you like it but if it`s a cask strength i prefer some water to bring the alcohollevel down a bit.I drink them mostly lowered down to roughly 50% makes the alcohol less dominant and takes up the taste of other components.A`bunadh is a very nice whisky indeed goes nice with mild Indian curries too.Eric.
    Netherlands

Taster

My experience is that different people have different preferences with water when it comes to cask strength (really, any strength). I’ve had a few Scotch Whisky Tasting gatherings at my house and everyone has there own preference. Some like their’s neat, some with a few drops of water, and still others prefer even more water. Definitely drink your whisky the way you like it best. You have to experiment with each CS to discover your particular liking. I really love the A’bunadh’s and usually add 3-4 drops of water to open it up. Now, with the George T. Stagg, I definitely have to dilute it some.

strength + age works. strength and youth.. less well.

i'm a purist. i think it should be bottled when the ABV falls to 50.. no matter what it is... and left ALONE until it does.

so, cask strength alone is no great recommendation.

The Laphroaig CS is an exception, full on rocket fuel, ice fishing booze, the perfect dram on the nastiest day of the year..

The Aberlour a'bundah (and me an aberlour fan) just made me angry. A snapshot of taste, repeated an infinite number of times, with 0 variation..

The two cask strength cognacs I own make me think strongly of bigamy, so i can marry BOTH of them..

Macallan Cask Strength is ideal small flask booze, good for a long walk on a brisk day, or a football game.. tiny sips work fine.

The Glenfarclas 105 CS got a firm thumbs down, with 2 tries. Paint thinner..

It just varies. Some CS is perfect, some is great at particular moments, and other stuff you wonder who had that DUMB idea..

and likely, your selections won't match mine.

Virtuoso

I think some whiskies just hold their alcohol better than others. I can drink, even young peated scotches at cask strength (or close) neat: Ardbeg Oogie, Laphroaig CS, Bruichalddich PC5, but I need water for sherried Scotches like Aberlour A'bundah...I think it's just a personal thing that I like strong peat better than strong sherry.

Of course, when you get to levels of alcohol like the newer Stagg, you really must dilute.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Khari View Post
    Do you guys drink even the whiskies in cask strength neat? I purchased a few (Aberlour A'bunadh, Laphroaig 10 CS), and I'm having a bit of difficulty enjoying them. The Aberlour has great flavor, but it burns the heck out of my throat. I'm inclined to add a little water to it, but then I got curious about what other folks do. Do you guys add water to your cask strength drinks?

Will depend on the night, but yes.... and the A'bunadh is my favorite by a long shot for scotch...