Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cask Strength

Re: Cask Strength

I'd make the heartiest recommendation to try Macallan Cask Strength to any Bourbon drinkers that wanted to 'know what it's all about' with non-peated scotch..

It's not afraid of a little water, but no need for it if you're ok with hummingbird sips. Theoretically, it's similar to Aberlour A'bunadh, close to the same proof and age, the bulk of the casks being sherry casks in both cases..

but the difference in taste is significant. The Aberlour is a touch oilier, perhaps slightly smoother, and hasn't any off tastes.. but lacks some toothsome component that leaves the whisky without depth. I suspect it's the barley in part, and possibly that the original spirit is distilled at a higher proof or using a different still type, but the difference is in the original spirit, rather than the aging process.. (*I think*) ..

The comparison was educational, side by side. Blind, with a one CC tasting sample, I gave the Aberlour CS an 86, with a bit of range to both sides for different batches.

I'd put it firmly in the 'middle' shelf bracket, and offer it as a distraction from anything rarer. NOT what i'd give to real friends. The Mac CS is just tastier to start with, and given the huge price increase in the older Macallans, has without fanfare acquired quite a nice bonus on the bang-buck ratio. (IN MY OPINION )

What's funny is the Aberlour 16 is directly competing with Mac 18, and hasn't acquired much of a fan club.. when it does an Amazing job of offering a delicious reason to spend half the money..

And in the Cask Strength versions, the Aberlour charges a premium for its glowing reputation, and the Mac CS seems to be diffidently marketed as the 'poor mans Mac'.. at very reasonable prices.

Try Aberlour 16 & Macallan CS head to head, with their counterparts of the other brand and see if you don't notice the differences. It's as if the publics perception depends on the price.

FWIW, I bought three different batches of the A'Bunadh to taste test, and drank one, swapped one unopened, and gave the opened 2nd one away. Without replacing it.. and I'm scheming on buying Aberlour 16 with glee.

Head to head, Aberlour to Aberlour, there's no contest whatsoever. The CS is well made ethanol with flavoring, the sherry casked 16 is very nearly *great* booze.

Advanced Taster

Megawatt, Gov, and Mitchshrader,

Thanks very much. I'll definitely give the Balvenie Doublewood a try. It's available at the local Trader Joe's, where it, along with the Wild Turkey, Knob Creek, and Laphroaig, frequently distracts me on the way to the cash register.

I also want to apologize if I "thread-jacked" this discussion. I now see that there is another thread dedicated to A'bunadh, and it wasn't my intention to change the subject of this one.

Thanks again.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    Megawatt, Gov, and Mitchshrader,

Thanks very much. I'll definitely give the Balvenie Doublewood a try. It's available at the local Trader Joe's, where it, along with the Wild Turkey, Knob Creek, and Laphroaig, frequently distracts me on the way to the cash register.

I also want to apologize if I "thread-jacked" this discussion. I now see that there is another thread dedicated to A'bunadh, and it wasn't my intention to change the subject of this one.

Thanks again.
    I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    In the Doublewood?

I sure was.

Virtuoso

Right now the only cask strength scotch I have is the Aberlour a'bunach. While I drink my bourbon neat as a general rule (including the higher proofs like GTS and PH) I'm in the habit of drinking my scotch on ice. Since I've gotten used to drinking bourbon this way, I find the lower proof scotches (usually 80 or 86) to be too dilute in the ice. In fact, the lower proofs cause me to have less enjoyment because I'm always racing to finish the glass before too much ice melts into it.

With the a'bunach, I can take my time knowing that at worse case my scotch will be 80-90 proof by the time the ice melts away and so I can peacefully enjoy it. (In actuality the a'bunach is so tasty that I can barely put it down and end up finishing up fairly quickly anyways )
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Right now the only cask strength scotch I have is the Aberlour a'bunach. While I drink my bourbon neat as a general rule (including the higher proofs like GTS and PH) I'm in the habit of drinking my scotch on ice. Since I've gotten used to drinking bourbon this way, I find the lower proof scotches (usually 80 or 86) to be too dilute in the ice. In fact, the lower proofs cause me to have less enjoyment because I'm always racing to finish the glass before too much ice melts into it.

With the a'bunach, I can take my time knowing that at worse case my scotch will be 80-90 proof by the time the ice melts away and so I can peacefully enjoy it. (In actuality the a'bunach is so tasty that I can barely put it down and end up finishing up fairly quickly anyways )
    Please try the scotch without ICE!! If you can do the bourbon without, you can do the scotch.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Please try the scotch without ICE!! If you can do the bourbon without, you can do the scotch.
    Actually I've been thinking about making the leap. I just got so used to drinking my scotches that way before I became a bourbon drinker that it's almost second nature. Tomorrow I'll continue my scotch exploration neat. Thanks Gov, I guess i just needed the push

Guru

yeah... scotch on Ice... bad, bad thing... neat or just a light splash of water to open it up...

... James, I think I need to come over and drink some of your booze as punishment

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Thanks Gov, I guess i just needed the push
    Your welcome! It you have to, like spun cookie said, splash some water in it. Good luck, and enjoy the flavors you have been missing, especially in the A'bunadh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    yeah... scotch on Ice... bad, bad thing... neat or just a light splash of water to open it up...

... James, I think I need to come over and drink some of your booze as punishment
    yeah well it seems like we have some very similar tastes in whisk(e)y so you'd definitely feel at home....well sort of, your bar is like a castle while mine's just a mcMansion so you'd be roughing it a bit over here