Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cask Strength

Guru

Re: Cask Strength

Its like my mom always said, it is what is on the inside that counts...

Iin this case, its what in the bottle .... close enough for me

Virtuoso

As per your recommendations I'm drinking my a'bundach neat with a slight splash of H20. Very nice. Much sweeter this way I must say. Soon I'll be trying the same with my Talisker 18, I'm really looking forward to that one tonight.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

One of the nicest CS whiskeys I have ever had was a Blackadder bottling of Highland Park, something like 13 years old and bottled completely unfiltered - including a dash of cask sediment.

I like CS expressions in general when a) I can find them and b) I can afford them, because they can be tailored to the situation. Sometimes I find a small sip of it neat is lovely, others I splash just a drop or two of water to break up the oils and release the aromatics. However, I suppose the "big win" is, if you're used to drinking your whiskey at a given proof, it is easy to dilute CS down to that level because it's literally 'whiskey concentrate' in some cases. It also fits in with a philosophy that I've seen expressed by both Pappy Van Winkle and Parker Beam: it makes little sense to bottle and ship water as opposed to whiskey. Obtain it at cask strength and add the water right before drinking; it's more flavorful that way (the subtle aromatics won't have escaped yet) and you've bought whiskey rather than water.

Mitchshrader gave a strong recommendation for Macallan Cask, and it's one I easily second. There is no age statement, and I would tend to believe it falls somewhere between 8-10 years. It is not artificially colored and it is not chill-filtered. It is, however, overwhelmingly inexpensive considering that you can use it as a base to dilute it down to, say, 86 proof. Here in the Chicago area a bottle of Macallan Cask goes for about $70 - less than their older, lower-proof expressions. That's what makes me suspect that the whiskey in that neatly-shaped flask is younger than we might think.