Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from TX

New from TX

Brand new from the Lone Star state! Been drinking bourbon about a year. Been really hitting the stores non-stop in an effort to get out and learn the wonderful drink. Picked up a bottle of Old Forester Bonded this weekend.

Anyone familiar with it? Haven't heard much of anything on it, but this site taught me to pick up the BIB's when possible. I enjoyed my one pour...tasted like the 86 proof with the 100 proof finish.

Early favorites include: WT RR 101 (still know where 2 more bottles are available), EC 12, Baker's, Booker's, Rowan's Creek, and Old Charter 12.

Taster

Re: New from TX

Welcome, Iceman! I'm fairly new to bourbon, myself. I picked up an Old Forester Bonded a few weeks ago but have not had the chance to try it yet.

What part of Texas are you from?

Bob

Disciple

Welcome! OF 100 proof is some good bourbon for sure. Old Grand-dad BIB is another good one in that price range.

Lot's of good bourbon to be had in Texas - plenty of dusty bottles, plus nice big stores like Specs to get the new stuff. Keep an eye out for Eagle Rare 101 at some of the smaller stores. Many people really like it, and it's not being made anymore, but I've seen a lot of it in Texas.

WT RR 101 is a very good bourbon. If you like the WT RR101, buy those bottles up, as there won't be any more made.

Where in Texas?
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Disciple

He is from SA.

Virtuoso

Welcome, Iceman!
    I'm fairly new here at SB (and bourbon too), but have lived in Texas all my life.

Thanks for the greetings. I live in San Antonio so there is plenty of bourbon to be shopped and consumed...dusty and new. Thanks for the ER 101 tip, I've only seen the bigger bottles (1 liter?) so I have not pulled the trigger, but that is on my short list after picking up the last of the WT RR 101.

Disciple

What part of SA do you live in. That is a giant size city. How are the liquor stores set up? Mom and Pop or big boys like Spec's and Twins? I have made it down there a bunch of times, though never for bourbon. Army surplus, water parks, the Alamo and so on...
    Anyway, welcome to the board!
    Jeff Mo.

I live on the out skirts of the medical center, but work downtown. There are a ton of liquor stores, but most are owned by the same company, but have different names. I was in Austin this past weekend and saw about 3-4 stores off Lamar that I wanted to pull into, but the wife and kids weren't with it.

Here's a link to the 2 stores I mentioned in the general discussion that offer the 20% discount on all liquor (and wine) that is not already on sale.

Friday/Saturday-jsfinewine.com
    Saturday only-beemansonline.com

Disciple

I have hit the stores in that area of Lamar very hard six months ago. Your best bet is up and down 35 between the two cities. All those little towns should gold.

The huge outlet mall near San Marcos is opening a wholesale liquor store near the Goodwill store. Wonder what the prices and stock will look like.