Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulliet Bourbon

Taster

Talking Re: Bulliet Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    ok, so the "i" is silent.
    Thanks Joe!

Scott
    Yes! the "i" is silent....like the "p" in "swimming" !!!

Guru

Re: Bulliet Bourbon

I had assumed the (i) was silent. Then a liquor store manager pronounced it in front of me, giving me confidence I was pronouncing it right. But then again this manager suggested I try bulliet because it was "similar to Makers Mark". What?

I wouldn't know how to Franco-fy the pronunciation.

Now, If only I could get people who aren't from Illinois or near the border of one of our neighboring states to quit pronouncing the silent (s) I will have really accomplished something

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    But then again this manager suggested I try bulliet because it was "similar to Makers Mark".

Thank goodness for forums like this - it's nice to be able to compare notes and pick apart claims about various bottles on the shelf!

FYI, I love Bulleit, and I wouldn't turn down a Maker's - but anybody saying they're alike doesn't know what he's talking about...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Novice

I've wondered this myself. Glad to see my time spent on these forums is already paying off!

Oh come on they're very similar... I mean, they're both bourbon, right?
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Disciple

IIRC, Bulleit has a very industrial quality to it. I have not revisited this one in some time for that reason. I can always find a bourbon I like for less $ than either one of these. What is it that makes these interesting to someone? Thanks, Jeff Mo.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonBalls View Post
    As in Bulliet County, Kentucky.......
    Isn't it Bullet Co Ky? Just South of Louisville

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jbutler View Post
    Just FYI, I posed this very question to Tom Bulliet at the SF Whiskey Expo ~6 years ago. His answer: "Just like ammunition."
    Kentuckians are notorious for corrupting words, hence Versailles Ky(pronounced vur-sales), the County seat where Woodford Reserve is made and Stanford Ky. Originally Stanford was known as Logan's fort; when the Shawnee laid seige to the place, and it failed, the people started calling it Standing Fort, which has since been corrupted to it's current name. There are many other examples, but my brain is a bit befuddled right now.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cousin it View Post
    Kentuckians are notorious for corrupting words, hence Versailles Ky(pronounced vur-sales), the County seat where Woodford Reserve is made and Stanford Ky. Originally Stanford was known as Logan's fort; when the Shawnee laid seige to the place, and it failed, the people started calling it Standing Fort, which has since been corrupted to it's current name. There are many other examples, but my brain is a bit befuddled right now.
    Here's a good one... I lived near here for about 4 years...the top of the link says exactly how they say it, but it's actually French (something along the lines of Moo-tar-dee-a)...Moutardier, KY
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The similarity between Bullitt, the county, and Bulleit, the bourbon, is coincidence, although both are pronounced like bullet, the projectile.

Bulleit Bourbon is named for Tom Bulleit, who started it, not in the mists of legend but about ten years ago.

Bullitt County was named for Alexander Bullitt, whose estate was Oxmoor Farm, east of Louisville, and now (mostly) Oxmoor Mall, a big shopping center. Part of I-64 through there also crosses what was the Bullitt property. These Bullitts are considered one of Louisville's 'founding families.'