Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey

Didn't want to Hijack BourbonJoe's thread on PVW 20 at shppersvineyard, so decided to start another. On the home page at shppersvineyard.com I noticed the subject bottle http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/tuthilltownhudson/tuthilltown-hudson-baby-bourbon-whiskey-33928.html I searched and found no reference to it. Has anyone tried this New York Bourbon? My curiosity is piqued.

Connoisseur

Re: Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey

Lenell's carries this, I'm sure you could call her store and ask. I've never tried it and at $32.99 a 375 I doubt I will.

Quote Originally Posted by snakster View Post
    Didn't want to Hijack BourbonJoe's thread on PVW 20 at shppersvineyard, so decided to start another. On the home page at shppersvineyard.com I noticed the subject bottle http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/tuthilltownhudson/tuthilltown-hudson-baby-bourbon-whiskey-33928.html I searched and found no reference to it. Has anyone tried this New York Bourbon? My curiosity is piqued.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Advanced Taster

Lenell's is no closer to me than Clifton NJ. If I ever get there I may pick it up...just because. Then again, I may not, but it's only money. And I don't think $33 is going to make me miss a mortgage payment. I get the feeling though, that if I did make my way to that store, there are many other offerings (that I can't get here) that would attract my attention instead.

Connoisseur

Sorry, I was saying call LeNells to get their opinion on the contents. They have a helpful staff that in fact drinks the stuff they sell and can offer and educated opinion.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Advanced Taster

Oh okay, reading again, I get it now (sorry). I just visitied the Tuthilltown distillery website. It's a good story. At this point I don't think it's a matter of 'if I get it' as much as 'if I can find it'. Apparently the small batch releases sell quickly. (And I'm all about expanding my horizons)

Disciple

I saw this yesterday at LeNell's and also at Canal's Discount Liquor Mart in Burlington, NJ. Canal's number is (609) 387-1541. Both were selling it for about $40 for 375ml, and I knew nothing about it so I took a pass. Please let me know if this stuff turns out to be good, as I may be back up in the NY/North Jersey area again in the near future.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think there may be some taste notes in another thread. I seem to recall someone, I think it was Gary Gillman, saying that it tastes like what it is, a bourbon-mash distillate that has been aged for three months, i.e., a very young bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I had tastes from two bottles: one was the Manhattan rye (I think it was called), the other was labelled bourbon. Both had a similar, piney/resiny taste and nose. I would think this is a young distillate taste although it was so much like a wood sap effect I wonder if the spirit was absorbing some of this kind of gum from the small charred oak kegs used. It was an interesting taste and I want to support the efforts of a new distiller - the first I know of to release its own-make bourbon and rye in some 50 years. I think in time though a steady demand will likely require an older product (not all that much older, say around 2 years of age plus).

Gary

Connoisseur

Is this just a corn whiskey? The discription states, "Hudson Baby Bourbon is made with 100% New York State corn." and "This is honest single-grain whiskey". Or am I reading too much into it?
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Dale, this is not corn whiskey because it was aged, for long enough to be identified as bourbon, in new charred oak. A bourbon can be 100% corn (or a straight rye, 100% rye), provided distilled under 160 proof.

These were so distilled, and while very young, aged for a time in new charred wood, therefore, for long enough.

Gary

N. B. Dale: will we see you and Emily at KBF this year? I will not be attending the Gala but will be there for the Gazebos.