Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Christmas wish bottle(s)

Well, the family has asked me for a Christmas list...and thinking a nice bottle would make a great gift....what are some bourbons on your wish list?

I have not had any of the Pappy Van Winkle products.....15 yr or 20 yr old definitely on the list. Others?

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: Christmas wish bottle(s)

That's easy, I have three:

Wild Turkey American Spirit (I might be lucky to find 1 or 2 of these)
    Parkers Heritage Collection
    Pappy 23

I'd settle for a bottle of Bookers though

Guru

I am not familiar with Parkers ($79) and found this quote by Chuck C

"This is why (for all the good it does) I caution new bourbon drinkers about products like Pappy. I'm not sure I like the term "acquired taste," but a 20-year-old bourbon isn't objectively 'better' than a four-year-old, it's just different."

I am not a new bourbon drinker but only have limited Rye tasting experience...is Pappy or Sazerac a risk? I like the Rittenhouse 100 and WT Ryes.

Bourbon...I always liked Buffalo Trace and could use a refill.
    Haven't tried Old Fitz....I will add Weller Centenial as endorsed by others postings.
    Last edited by Jono; 11-24-2007 at 13:12.

Guru

Well, my list is pretty much covered by the first three:

Stagg 07
    Parker's
    WT American Spirt

I'd take an Evan Williams 23 if Santa had an extra but for the price I wouldn't ask a family member to get it for me. The others I figure two or three of the extended family members could buck up for...
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane View Post
    I'd take an Evan Williams 23 if Santa had an extra but for the price I wouldn't ask a family member to get it for me. The others I figure two or three of the extended family members could buck up for...
    What are they worth in the US? Are they still available in KY, or am I imagining things?

Enthusiast

Saz 18 yr
    Van Winkle 13 yr rye
    Van Winkle 15
    Saz Jr
    Ritt 100 BIB
    Stagg
    Rare Breed

I think any of those would look great under the tree. If I have been good this year I just might get one. If I have been bad (Much more likely) I'll find some charcoal filtered Tenessee Whiskey. Either way you gotta love the Holidays. Enjoy the season!!!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Guru

I'm not a fan of overage spirits of any type.The Beefeater Gin in my martini for example is not aged but the quality is there. A whiskey may get smoother or rounder as it ages, and the difference is noticeable in the taste, but its quality is no better than its four year and a day old brethren from the same run. Chuck is certainly right and I concur.

A good producer like Heaven Hill or Buffalo Trace will give me a good product throughout its range and I buy accordingly.

When it comes to gift giving I prefer folks present me with a middle choice at best so they won't be out much and they will feel comfortable sitting down and enjoying it with me.

Regards,
    Squire

I have a Four Roses Platinum from Japan that is coming my way this christmas.
    Also a George Dickel Barrel Select.
    I'd love some Parkers, but believe me, in Australia I am lucky enough to be getting those!

Parker's will have to come from Binnys!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The bottle I would love to get, but will probably never see is Wild Turkey 17yo...one that I have seen but will likely never own is Eagle Rare 15yo SB 107.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

i figure i won't put anyone on a wild goose chase (i'll do that!)...but i told my brother i'd be fine with almost anything Wild Turkey...but then a Michter's would be fine.

i might buy that $75 of Pappy i saw in a red velvet bag for myself...if we get an XMAS bonus!

if not, i would rather focus on getting anything that has been discontinued
    HUP!