Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

New to the forum

I have been reading the SB site for quite a while and have learned a great deal here. I’ve made some recent postings so I thought I would introduce myself. I am much more knowledgeable of Single Malt Scotch Whisky (SMSW) than the American Whiskeys (AWs), having experienced SMSW for a few years now, but really discovering the AWs for about 8 months now. I have scoured a large number of liquor shops in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin, initially for SMSW but now the AWs also, looking for good and unique buys. I enjoy 10 Downing Street Pub in Houston and usually visit there at least once every few weeks. I enjoy the wheat-based bourbons but tend to enjoy the rye-based ones better, at least for now. Currently I really like the Wild Turkey’s but the BTAC’s are also great (of course, I haven’t tried too many AWs that I didn’t like, just some better than others). Below is a list of the AWs I’ve acquired so far. Most of these purchases have been based on information I’ve gained here (I also occasionally read BourbonEnthusiast). You guys are so knowledgeable here and provide such great insight and comments. I look forward to continuing to grow my knowledge-base here on SB!

Regards -- Bob

* = opened

Blanton’s Single Barrel (dumped 10-12-95, 93 Proof)
    Booker’s (124 Proof & 126 Proof)
    Buffalo Trace
    Eagle Rare 10 yo Single Barrel
    Eagle Rare 17 yo (bottled Fall 2005)
    Elijah Craig 12 yo*
    Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel
    Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995 & 1996*
    Ezra B. 12 yo Single Barrel (bottled 9-03)
    George T. Stagg (140.6 Proof)
    Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 yo
    Jack Daniel’s 1954 Gold Medal
    Knob Creek 9 yo*
    Makers Mark*
    Old Fitzgerald BIB
    Old Forester 100 Proof
    Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2002
    Old Forester Birthday Bourbon Spring 2003
    Old Grand-Dad 114 Proof
    Old Grand-Dad Bonded (orange label)
    Old Grand-Dad Bonded (white label)
    Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yo 107 Proof*
    Pappy Van Winkle 15 yo
    Pappy Van Winkle 20 yo
    Sazerac 18 yo (bottled Fall 2006)*
    Sazerac 18 yo (bottled Summer 2000)
    Sazerac 6 yo*
    Thomas H. Handy (132.7 Proof)
    Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 yo
    Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 yo
    Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 yo
    Virginia Gentleman “The Fox”
    W. L. Weller 12 yo*
    Wathen’s Single Barrel (bottled 4-7-98)
    Wild Turkey 101 Proof*
    Wild Turkey 12 yo (Split Label)
    Wild Turkey 12 yo* (Gold Label)
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed* (108.2 Proof)
    Wild Turkey Russel’s Reserve 10 yo 101 Proof*
    Wild Turkey Tribute 15 yo
    Woodford Reserve

Virtuoso

Re: New to the forum

Nice collection...but what are you going to drink next month?

10 Downing Street is a great bar. Say 'hey' to Randy B. (doubleblank) for me when you see him there!
    Looks to me like you're only lacking Four Roses (road trip to Kentucky!) and Barton. Is the Ridgemont Reserve 1792 available there? It's probably the best thing Barton does, though VOB is more a 'standard'. But, ya know, now that I think about it, even Kentucky Tavern or Ten High ain't bad as mixers...
    Anyway, welcome -- it looks like you have a good start toward obsession.
    (Oh, and try the Dickel #12 if you get the chance -- if only to help Tennessee's economy .)
    Tim

Guru

Bob,

That looks like a very good survey of the AW world -- at close to a 99% sample rate.

If you are peat-monster fan in the SMSW world, I suggest you try Elijah Craig 18 y/o. There's no peat, of course, but the char influence is so intense, it may be a bourbon-parallel to the likes of Laphroig. You'll find very little to remind you of its 12 y/o cousin. The camphor/eucalyptus/mint/??? is almost totally overwhelmed by the char influence.

Almost in the same category is the Ezra B 15 y/o, which has now been replaced by the 12 y/o that you have. If you happen to find one while on a dusty bottle expedition, I suggest you pick it up. I think you'll find it interesting.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Taster

Thanks for the replies.

TNbourbon Ė Iíve tried the 1792 at Downing Street (came highly recommended there) and enjoyed it a great deal. Just havenít added it to my collection yet. I went a little crazy buying a number of whiskeys (mostly from info on SB) a while back. Iím trying to make a dent in my current reserve before purchasing any more. Thatís the plan anyway, but temptations are always great!

bluesbassdad Ė Thanks for the info on the Ezra B 15 yo, I wasnít aware of this. Iíll keep an eye out for it. Iíve tried the EC 18 and thought it was good, but actually enjoy the EC 12 better. For me the 18 yo has too much oak coming through while the 12 yo is a wonderful blend of fruit, vanilla, and honey. I really like the Laphroaigs (the QC is absolutely great!) but for bourbons I really enjoy the EC 12.

sku Ė Somehow, Iíll figure out something for next month! By the way, Iíll be visiting the Irvine area the very end of July. Iíve read your Skuís Recent Eat blog site http://www.recenteats.blogspot.com/ (I love the Whiskey Wednesday features!) and was wondering if you might recommend a good spot to find a whiskey (or whisky) drink in the OC area.

Thanks - Bob

Guru

Bob,

I must reemphasize that the OE 15 y/o would be a rare find at this late date -- but worth watching for. It integrates the wood influence much more successfully than does the EC 18, IMO. I'm told that the current OE 12 y/o isn't in the same league.

If you find yourself near Seal Beach, stop by Spaghettini (a stone's throw from I-405/San Diego Fwy, Seal Beach Blvd. exit). It was one of my favorite spots before we moved to AZ in 2004. I am a connoisseur of neither restaurants nor whiskey bars, but I liked their food, and I had my first taste of Lagavulin 16 y/o there.

I also heard Coltrane play there. Okay, so it wasn't John; it was Ravi ... and Alice joined in, too. My favorite SoCal bluesman, Doug MacLeod was a regular there.

It's also the place where I hosted an impromptu pre-wedding party for our out-of-town house guests on the day my son was married. We were displaced from our home by a swarm of bees and needed a cool place to relax and regain our composure. It was such a pleasant way to while away an hour that I almost enjoyed paying the $300 bar tab.

I just now glanced at their upcoming events. The Al Williams Jazz Society is playing there on July 27. As a fan of 50's jazz I've always enjoyed his show. I wish I could be there.

Can you tell I miss living in Long Beach?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Taster

Dave,
    Thank you very much for the info and the recommendation for Spaghettini, I looked at the web site and it looks to be a great spot! If we can find the time we'll certainly give it a try. We are very limited on how much free time we have (my daughter is in a national Scottich Highland dance competition) and the schedule takes up much of the time. But we are looking for good places to try. A number of us fathers were also hoping to slip out at some point and enjoy a good whisky (gives us a break!). I suspect we will enjoy the Long Beach area as much as you did, just with much less exposure. We are really looking forward to the trip!

Thanks - Bob

Bob,
    Welcome to the board! You have had a great start into the world of bourbon, well done!!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster

Scott, thank you very much. By the way, your new cabinet and whiskey display look great! Your WT and JD collections are very impressive.

I feel very much like a rookie here. People are talking about "SW" and "Louisville" on labels, so I'm just now learning about this particular qualification. I'll just have to keep my eyes open and learn more!

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Be sure and look at the list of abbreviations we use here. Its here under "New to Straightbourbon". Many of us use this "shorthand" to keep our posts shorter. The significance of "SW" and "Louisville" ...... that depends on your taste preferences, etc.

Randy