Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: New to the forum

Welcome!

I'll echo the congratulations on amassing a fine array of whiskeys already.

And, since you're in Texas, a Barton brand you can pick up that I'm fond of is Tom Moore BIB. Not as refined as many, but a nice inexpensive pour, particularly if you can find bottles from the 1980s that are clearly aged longer than the requisite 4 years.

I'll go ahead and put in a plug for Baker's while I'm at it. I prefer Knob Creek, but not by much. Since you've already picked up KC and Booker's, it's a nice midpoint in age, flavor profile and proof.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Taster

Thank you for the replies.

Randy – Thank you for the heads-up on the list of abbreviations, this will come in very handy. As for SW and Louisville designations, from my research I assume SW will appear on the older OF label unless it is a more “recent” bottle (since June 1992), in which case it will show Louisville, Jefferson County? With the Weller’s, I assume the older bottles show Louisville on the label and the newer ones have Frankfort? And, finally, all of the PVW’s are bottled with SW stock even though the label indicates Frankfort? (Do the PVW’s contain exclusive SW or are they a “blend/vatting” using other Van Winkle stock? In bourbon, does the age indicate the youngest whisky but older whisky can be included? Is the SW stock available for PVW 15 about to become exhausted?) Sorry for so many questions, I appreciate your patience – they just started rolling out.

Tim – Thank you for the heads-up on the Tom Moore BIB. This is not one that I recall seeing, but then I was not looking for it either. I’ll keep an eye open for it. I’ll also be sure to try the Baker.

Thanks - Bob
    Last edited by Yellowjacket; 07-06-2007 at 00:56.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I'll try to answer as follows.....its a lttle dangerous to make statements about a whiskey's provenance with 100% certainty. For example, a bottling/source location can change and the distillery is allowed some flexibility to use the older labels with an incorrect bottling city. But here's the conventional wisdom for the Pappy's, etc.

ORVW 10 and VWSR 12 Lot B are currently Bernheim distilled/Julian and Preston selected whiskeys.

Pappy 15 is currently (?) SW but some other source (Bernheim) has also been used before.

Pappy 20 and 23 are currently SW. Original versions of the 20 were Boone whiskey and the original 23 from an un named source.

We need to have a Houston area SB get together and we'll sample these original Pappy's against the newer ones.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    ...As for SW and Louisville designations, from my research I assume SW will appear on the older OF label unless it is a more “recent” bottle (since June 1992), in which case it will show Louisville, Jefferson County?..
    Well, no. The distillery name doesn't appear after it left the Van Winkle family's ownership in the early-'70s -- or, at least, not for very long. It was known as the Old Fitzgerald Distillery during the post-Van Winkle era, though the only place I remember seeing that is on barrel heads, not bottles. However, since it was located in Louisville, assumptions are that bottles prepared there contain S-W/OF whiskey.
    Tim

Taster

Randy,
    I appreciate the information on the various Pappy, etc, bottlings. This is an area (which distillery is associated with which bottling during particular time-frames) that Iím still trying to get my hands around. Iíve read Charles Cowderyís Bourbon, Straight and that has help a great deal, but still seems like you need a dance card to keep it all straight. But thatís part of the fun and interest, isnít it!

A Houston area SB get-together sounds like a great idea. I live in the Bellaire area. Glad to help in any way I can.

Bob

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Well, no. The distillery name doesn't appear after it left the Van Winkle family's ownership in the early-'70s -- or, at least, not for very long. It was known as the Old Fitzgerald Distillery during the post-Van Winkle era, though the only place I remember seeing that is on barrel heads, not bottles. However, since it was located in Louisville, assumptions are that bottles prepared there contain S-W/OF whiskey.
    Tim Ė I have a bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB and a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 yo and they both indicate ďLouisville, JeffersonCountyĒ on the labels. How can one examine a bottle of OF and determine if it contains S-W/OF whisky? Iím sure I must be overlooking something obvious. Thanks for your help.

Bob

Virtuoso

Tim - I have a bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB and a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 yo and they both indicate “Louisville, JeffersonCounty” on the labels. How can one examine a bottle of OF and determine if it contains S-W/OF whisky? I’m sure I must be overlooking something obvious. Thanks for your help.

Bob
    I'm not Tim, but..

From what I've gathered, the BIB stuff has to designate the distiller and the bottler by using DSP numbers. BIB bottles will have two DSP numbers (this is usually the case, someone correct me if I'm wrong), one DSP for the distiller and one DSP for the bottler. The DSP number for SW is DSP-16, so Old Fitz BIB containing SW whiskey will have DSP-16 on the label. The later bottles of Old Fitz BIB are from DSP-1, and it's still very good IMO and the bottles I've found were only about $13 each (a steal).

Regarding the Very Special Old Fitz 12yo..
    From what I know, there are at least two different versions of this. One of them (the original first version?) will have plain black plastic on the neck with the letters BHC (for Bourbon Heritage Collection). The other later version doesn't have plain black plastic on it's neck, instead it has 'Very Special' repeated over and over on it's plastic neck sleeve. I've read reports that the one with the plain black plastic and BHC is better, but haven't compared them for myself. That's all I know about the VSOF12yo. I have two bottles (plain black BHC) but haven't cracked either one yet.

Hope some of this info is helpful (and not wrong).

I used to live in Bellaire (many years ago as a child), and I just recently picked up a Pappy 20yo at Rice Liquors (at Bissonette and Rice) for a good price.
    Last edited by gblick; 07-06-2007 at 11:03.

Taster

gblick,
    Thank you for the information. Now things make much more sense about what to look for with the OF BIB. If I recall correctly, mine is a DSP-KY-1, so no S-W. Still looking forward to giving it a try. As for the VSOF 12, I remember from looking at it last night that it had black plastic on the neck but do not remember any more details. I will check tonight.

I am very familiar with Rice Liquors, I've found several Scotch whiskies there for excellent prices. I haven't been by lately, I'll need to return to the home turf and check things out.

Thanks again - Bob

Virtuoso

sku Ė Somehow, Iíll figure out something for next month! By the way, Iíll be visiting the Irvine area the very end of July. Iíve read your Skuís Recent Eat blog site http://www.recenteats.blogspot.com/ (I love the Whiskey Wednesday features!) and was wondering if you might recommend a good spot to find a whiskey (or whisky) drink in the OC area.

Thanks - Bob
    Thanks for your kind words Bob. Unfortunately, I can't give you much advice on Orange County bars.

In general, while Southern California has some good liquor stores (and there is a pretty good one in Costa Mesa-www.hitimewine.net), bars and restaurants with good whiskey selections are few and far between, though there certainly could be some gems in OC that I'm not familiar with.

Taster

sku - Thanks again. I'll go by Hi-Time if I get the time, we may want a special bottle to celebrate. If we find any spots we think are really good, I'll pass it on.

Bob