Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

Quote Originally Posted by robbyvirus View Post
    Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. Haven't had a sip from this bottle in quite awhile. I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I was originally.
    Ahh, the power of suggestion.
    I pulled my bottle of BW off the shelf and sippin' one neat now.
    I got it shortly after it came out in Oct. '05 in Bardstown, still have half a bottle.
    There is a grainy sweetness that I like but it goes away so fast.
    Faint, but noticeable butter toffee nose.
    The problem with it, is the smell and taste disappear to fast.
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yes the ages varied (I recall that even from then) and I recall too the 86 proof version.

In fact, a progenitor SB-er, namely me, was trying to puzzle out the taste differences in Montreal in 1980, a useful time for such (after-work/weekend only) activities since one was , i) younger and thus had more stamina to investigate, ii) able to apply the results to activities whose frenetic level or other characteristics matched one's age bracket e.g., Who concerts and long summer parties.

I did feel that Prime really did represent a style or profile regardless of age or proof but that 80 was best. This may have been due to the lower proof allowing the full barrel flavour to come through, or as suggested earlier, possibly the 80 had its own particular age and other make-up that appealed.

I recall specifically liking some of the VOFs but always preferring any bottle labelled Prime.

All this, normally, would be distant history but through the miracle of bottles surviving from then and in the collections of some SB-ers it is possible to see pictures of them, discuss and even taste the results sometimes.

And for that I thank many people but none more than Jim.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-27-2007 at 17:40.

Connoisseur

I will be drinking some more Stagg Fall '05 tonight and will also try a Mint Julep for the first time. I will not be using Stagg for the Julep, but will be using WT Tribute which I do not like. Hey, it's better than pouring it down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Enjoying some 1972, 7yo Old Fitz Prime from a ringneck pheasant Wildlife Decanter series bottle...A bit more subtle than S-W OFBIBs, but with the same creamy sweetness plus the hint of pepper/spice, which imparts in Stitzel-Weller wheat a unique rye-like quality, I think.
    Here's the bottle, for reference.
    OF bird.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    The Old Fitz Prime came in a lot of ages and proofs. Here's a pic of a "Prime Straight" aged 8 years at 86.8 proof. This is probably my favorite bottle of '70's era Old Fitz I've had (with the exception of those hard to find VOF's).
    This one, too, is 86.8 proof.
    And, for whatever it's worth, I'll agree with the 'toffee nut' and 'peaunt brittle' descriptors. 'Butter pecan' comes to mind, too.
    Any way you put it, it's pretty fine bourbon.
    Tim

Apprentice

I am having Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15. Mmm... Mmm... Good.
    Barron.

Crabgrass can grow on bowling balls in airless rooms, and there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons.
    Dave Barry

Disciple

So far this week it has been Jim Beam 10yr.(from a 1981 decanter), Weller Antique 107, Old Fitz 1849, 04' Stagg, Jeffersons Reserve 15yr. and Van Winkle Lot B. Thankfully, still 2 more days left in the week!

Thomas

Taster

Red face Botm 12/06 Old Grand Dad 114

Finally opened that bottle i got from a road trip. I do declare that that is some bite staight up. 114 burning an ice cude is how i liked it best.
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin' and preachin' were alot alike." Paul Bryant

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Earlier I had made a vatting of 3 Heaven Hill bourbons: HH 6 yrs old; HH Bonded (so nominally 4 but probably higher); and Fighting Cock (6 years again).

I like the taste of bourbon when it retains an oily smell and texture, provided the overall taste is good. E.g., Beam White has some young rye and corn flavours but I find the overall taste not great.

With HH, all these whiskeys are good but the vatting just makes them (for me) that much better. You get an increased complexity, but also a balance, e.g., I found the Bonded less oily than the others, and the Bonded and HH 6 less astringent than the FC; the combination (about 1/3rd each) created a pleasing synergy.

I have some 1970's HH (86 proof, no age statement but seemingly at least 6 years aged) I found in San Francisco recently and I thought I'd add some of that for a multi-generation Heaven Hill. Well, the result is even better than my first essay. The rich coppery malty smoky 70's whiskey filled out the others just that little bit to make a rich seamless mingling.

One can see how complex this can get by experimenting with different proportions of each whiskey. Given enough time, I could make (I think) the perfect blend of these whiskeys but I did not do so badly by using equal proportions.

If I had to choose one that was best amongst these four, it would be the Bonded. That is a fine product which stands with the best whiskeys available today, but (it just happens) for much less money. It has an old-time bourbon taste where the corn and oil are there but balanced with good char and wood gum extract. But I'll take my mingling over even that one.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-28-2007 at 20:28.

Advanced Taster

Ezra B Black Label on the rocks. I think this stuff has replaced EW Black as my daily on the rocks bourbon for summer.

Guru

Bushmills 10 on the rocks with a bit of added water. It was a long hot day and it is warm and muggy out. So much so I almost don't feel like drinking this.